Why Doodlebug?

Why do people like doodlebugs so much? I have an oppty to buy a running one for about $100 and just want to understand why they have so much appeal.

Thanks!

The Doodle bug , or it's Canadian cousin the Dirt bug is by no means a masterpiece of modern engineering , however the major thing it has going for it is availability.
It does have some good points such as size , decent steering head and wheel bearings also the balloon tires help the ride.
The biggest drawback is the small engine , the welding on the frame looks like it was done by a kid (likley a chinese one) the brakes work marginaly but watch out if you upgrade the engine.
I am not slamming the DB's , I have two myself and find them to be a great starting point for a build to make them into a great little bike.
Rob

...... the brakes work marginaly but watch out if you upgrade the engine.
I am not slamming the DB's , I have two myself and find them to be a great starting point for a build to make them into a great little bike.
Rob
My 5hp Briggs motor works fine with the original brake when it is properly adjusted. :smile:

The 6.5 or higher range is probably where I'd think about swapping or fabing up a mount for a front caliper.

OMG! I would never ride the kids toys. Two kids three minis hmmm.
Kid at heart? =D

matt2

Why do people like doodlebugs so much? I have an oppty to buy a running one for about $100 and just want to understand why they have so much appeal.

Thanks!
You said it right there, for about $100.00. That is what I got mine for $100.00 and it was like new. Then put the H/F 212cc on it and I'm still under $250.00 for the mini. That price includes a clutch from a motor that I got for $20.00.

TomH

Doodle bugs are about all you see for sale in my area. I have two, that is enough I hope. I like the quality and the price I bought them for. On one hand, it is a shame they use the 2.8 motor, lots of kids are getting screwed out of having a mini bike experience. But on the other hand, I bought two almost new mini bikes. At least four or five times a week there is a father on this board trying to keep the 2.8 motor running for his kid. That's a bad deal. I hope who ever is making the things finds a better motor supplier soon. The rest of the bike is great

You said it right there, for about $100.00. That is what I got mine for $100.00 and it was like new. Then put the H/F 212cc on it and I'm still under $250.00 for the mini. That price includes a clutch from a motor that I got for $20.00.
I dunno, 100 and 23 mi what I got mine for. But a lot seem to say that's a steal! More like the 200 price range? Or am I reading old posts?

I like the size of the frame and large tires,don't know about the brakes but would buy one if it was a $100. yeah motor difinately needs a upgrade. One good point it's not a Rupp, Bonanza or Taco or other vintage bike so if you beat it to h-ll it won't matter.:scooter:

The doodlebug is like the 57 Chevy or 90 Mustang of the minibike world. They are cheap, plentiful, decent out of the box (small motor notwithstanding) and a plentiful aftermarket.

You can do a big motor swap with upgrades like a custom header, great brake upgrade, easily swap rear sprockets, all with custom parts that are reasonably priced and readily available.

They also have a nice seating position (especially the pegs being in front of the motor) so adults can ride them easily.

matt2

I dunno, 100 and 23 mi what I got mine for. But a lot seem to say that's a steal! More like the 200 price range? Or am I reading old posts?
Since I bought my first one I have seen at least two more for 100.00.
They were not as nice but complete and runners. Just watch c/l and don't get in a hurry. Have fun and buy cheap.

Since I bought my first one I have seen at least two more for 100.00.
They were not as nice but complete and runners. Just watch c/l and don't get in a hurry. Have fun and buy cheap.
Oh, mine was in great shape less the motor. Man I bought it from was real nice too. I love how when I'm buying a old briggs or something mini related, its from an old guy that has got some sweet toys that I want when I'm that old. And love to talk me under the table when I ask. Heheh The vinyl seat wasn't even cracked or faded yet the motor was junk. :doah: Breaks weren't rusted, no punctures in tires, nothing rusted and everything rolled. So worked out for me.

the doodle is the perfect beginner bike to introduce kids to two wheels. and that stock motor isnt crap. if you search around, the stock motor generally runs fine and has a decent long life if you take care of it. it is the stock gearing that is crap. once u regear or jack shaft the stock motor you will have perfect trainer for the young ones. i recomend promods brake upgrade. TTS

I only paid $50.00 for mine and after putting the engine back in it, it ran! I will never tell how much money I put in to it, did I tell you I only paid $50.00 for mine and it ran!

Brakes for DB

I did the motor swap thing on a DB and went with the HF Predator 6.5. Found out real quick (first time testing it) that the stock brakes wouldn't cut it. Got a hydraulic brake system from Hotrodminibike.com. Bolts where old one was and comes precharged and has brake lever. Huge difference in stopping power!

I paid a bit too much for my DB30, but I got impatient trying to find something in good shape within a reasonable driving distance. I got mine for $200, and it was in pretty nice shape. I added the jackshaft kit, and the rejetted carb from Mini Bike Performance Parts, Baja Doodlebug, Dirtbug, DB30 and MB165 Performance , and those were both major improvements. I will still upgrade the engine in the future, but at least it's very usable for a kid my size. (180 lbs) I also am going to mod the handlebar setup so I can get them a bit mor forward, as the stock ones are raked back to far for me and nor adjustable. I found some bolt on handlebar clamps from a Honda Rancher ATV that will do nicely, along with some appropriate height handlebars. The clamps were only 15 bucks on Ebay, and there were quite a few sets available on there. The stock bars will just get cut off and capped.

df
:smile:

I did the motor swap thing on a DB and went with the HF Predator 6.5. Found out real quick (first time testing it) that the stock brakes wouldn't cut it. Got a hydraulic brake system from Hotrodminibike.com. Bolts where old one was and comes precharged and has brake lever. Huge difference in stopping power!