Wife can't park in the garage, I need help!!!

As stated my wife has a problem parking in the garage. We have a two car garage, and she can't seem to fit whatever she's driving into it correctly, even if she's the only one parking in there.

She's clobbered three of my R/C airplanes when she parked too close to the rack on the wall and opened her door.:doah:
And that was on the opposite side of the garage that she parks on.

I had to replace the soft top on her Wrangler when she pulled in before the door was up the whole way.:facepalm:

Last week she traded in the Jeep on a new Toyota Camry. First attempt at parking she nearly took out the cabinets at the front of the garage when she pulled in. Told me she couldn't judge the distance, and I needed to add a hanging tennis ball so she could park. So I did.

Last night I hear the garage door open, her pull in, and the garage door starting to close. And then a horrendous crashing noise and the garage door going back up.

Walk out to the garage and see she's not even close to the tennis ball, and that the garage door had added racing stripes to the back bumper cover. :censure::censure::censure:

Please help me, I fear for my mini bikes lives!!!

Evol,
Build a circle drive and park outside on it.
Put down a concrete parking lot bumper on the garage floor, not a tall one that the front air dam will hit. Cut some dimensional lumber and place them as bracing against the outside wall of the garage to prevent the bumper from scooting forward over time. Coordinate the bumper's location with the tennis ball's. Locate the tennis ball directly in front of the driver's head position. Place a secondary tennis ball near the driver's A-post, or rear view mirror, for a secondary reference.
For left and right positioning, put down two, two inch wide reflective lines on the floor that extend a few feet outside onto the approach. The lines should be a few inches wide of the tire tracks on the driver's and passenger's side.
Hope this helps, it helped us get some fire trucks back in the bay with fewer incidents.
Find the best person to demonstrate the methods and skills required. Leave them to practice. Make sure Carbon Monoxide isn't building-up in the garage, house, or near-by spaces.
SAT

I'm thinking of hiring one of the airport guys to show up when she arrives and departs. Use the orange wands to guide her in and out. Or a Valet. Most likely though she'd run or back over him.

I race cars and I won't ride with her. She scares the doo doo out of me when she drives. She's one of those, one foot on the gas and one on the brake. How she hasn't clipped my truck in the driveway is nothing short of a miracle. If the car wasn't new, (well it was) I'd wouldn't let her use the garage.

Kinda the way it seems..i opened a Double gate for my wife to drive straight out of and she creamed the left side denting the fender and bending over the pole sending the gate askew up in the air.She also backed in to our daughter's car in our parking area..$2,000 w of damage w had to pay $500 deductable ( that is the day i ordered the Trailmaster $800) I'm like just say something..she has hit things in our yard more times than i can count ..i don't really want to be like..women drivers but..errr..it is what it is.:laugh: :shrug:.i have denied her a new car to replace our little 2007 95,000 mile Rav4 sport..oh well..:doah:

Last edited:
I'm thinking of hiring one of the airport guys to show up when she arrives and departs. Use the orange wands to guide her in and out. Or a Valet. Most likely though she'd run or back over him.

I race cars and I won't ride with her. She scares the doo doo out of me when she drives. She's one of those, one foot on the gas and one on the brake. How she hasn't clipped my truck in the driveway is nothing short of a miracle. If the car wasn't new, (well it was) I'd wouldn't let her use the garage.
You're on that imaginary brake too huh..:laugh:I'd say put a iron pole in the floor of the garage but the car wouild suffer.

Last edited:
As a HVAC contractor it was code to install a steel post in front of furnaces and water heaters. I used 3 inch pipe and had a big core drill and used a sledge hammer to drive it into the earth. I think you need to have someone go see an Optometrist.

If you lock the Garage door. As in a pad lock in each end of the lock bar.

Nail a 2x4 to the header above the garage door. As in set it on top of the garage door and nail it tight.

Disconnect the garage door opener. Unplug the motor and snip off the wire.

Problem solved.....

I would just as soon ride with mine as have her as a rider. She is a good driver and I have ridden many a mile with her driving. And she never bends her car.......

I had several cars when we got married. I told her, AND she will repeat this word for word, the cars are her when you come and the cars will be here when you go. This was almost 40 years ago. She is a car person so she doesn't complain. She knows what they are worth and what to do with them when I die. She will never sell our 56 F-100 or her Grandfathers 53 F-100. The rest are just retirement money...

Doug

If she can't even pull a car into the garage without hahahahaing something up she shouldn't be driving. Some people just don't belong behind the wheel of a vehicle.

There's nothing funny about this. Those people should not be driving. Driving is a privilege, not a right.

I hang a string with a fishing bobber attached from the garage ceiling so she knows how far to pull in. ( she almost hit my air compressor once)

Last edited:

WLB

No wonder my insurance is so high. And I thought it was because of all the cars destroyed by the hurricanes, wildfires, and mudslides.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Davis

Don’t feel bad I bought my wife a new suv in July and she hit a deer doin 80mph in November and it totalled after my initial bid was at $38000 and they total them at 75%

Funny, she's never had an at fault accident on the road, and she's been driving since 1970. Anywhere else though it's like there is a magnetism to whatever she drives. Three times at work she's called me to tell me some batrasturd had run into the Jeep. (not leaving a note or telling anyone) Once she was parked at a gas station, putting gas in the beast when an idiot in an H2 backed out of a parking space and plowed into the Jeep. How do you not see a black lifted Wrangler right behind you?

Or how about the time coming home, stopped to make a left turn onto our street, and the person coming out of the street, blows the stop sign, crosses two lanes, and T bones her.

Or the one at our other house, her Blazer parked in the driveway, and some under the influence guy runs off the road, and plows into it.

The garage bit is just icing on the cake for her.