Will a Honda GX160 fit in 1970 Rupp Scrambler/Enduro frame?

ugmold

Will a Honda GX160 fit in 1970 Rupp Scrambler/Enduro frame?

The engine has the stock tank, exhaust, air filter system, that seems a bit tall. Thanks.

GustoGuy

Stock exhaust will not fit but it is close. The air filter will fit without the cover.
You need use a custom bent pipe from the exhaust opening on the engine to exit out the rear of the bike since trying to use a small muffler right under your seat will lead to "pants on fire syndrome". Also you can add a spray on ceramic coating on your custom pipe to reduce the chance of heat transfer and burn If your skin comes in contact with the pipe.

It is silver powdercoat the same color as the frame. I have not had good luck with paint and the cost of rechrome is too high. The frame ,fork swingarm,rims and handlebar $225.

GustoGuy

It is silver powdercoat the same color as the frame. I have not had good luck with paint and the cost of rechrome is too high. The frame ,fork swingarm,rims and handlebar $225.
Looks great. I am going to go with a chrome like powder coat. The place that does it says it is very difficult to tell the difference between the chrome and the chrome powder coat. The powder coat is very durable too much tougher than paint.

cfh

on the chrome powercoat... can you ask them what brand/number they are using? i haven't found any powercoat that looks anything even close to chrome myself.

GustoGuy

on the chrome powercoat... can you ask them what brand/number they are using? i haven't found any powercoat that looks anything even close to chrome myself.

Yes. I will post a picture of my rear wheel after I get it back and ask about the process and brand of chrome powder coat. I haven't had a chance to bring it in to the Powder coating place yet. I am out of town on business and I will check on how well my front rim is cleaning up on Evaporust tonight when I get home. Hopefully I will be happy with how it turned out and just only have to do the rear rim. The rear rim rust damage cleared up pretty well but had too much pitting to the chrome especially on one side of the rim since it may have been exposed to the elements since it appears the bike was sitting in one spot possibly exposed to the elements. Always store your minbike indoors to keep them looking good.

GustoGuy

That is a kick butt price for all 5 pieces. Only $225 is a great deal. Did you powder coat it yourself be cause I am surprised that a business charged so little to powder coat 5 pieces.

cfh

Really need the brand and NUMBER of the powdercoat that gives the chrome effect. i will try it here at the local powdercoat shop. But everything i've seen done in powdercoat doesn't really look like chrome. but obviously i haven't seen everything!

locally i can have the powder coat shop sand blast my bike frame and coat it for $100 to $150. Price depends on their attitude for the day so it seems. also depends on the color. if they are already doing a lot of that color, i get a better price. If i need some weird color that nothing else is getting, price goes up! (cleaning the gun/booth takes time.) Two stage colors are more expensive too (like the Prismatic metallic colors), because it has to be sprayed and baked twice (color and then clear).

GustoGuy

Really need the brand and NUMBER of the powdercoat that gives the chrome effect. i will try it here at the local powdercoat shop. But everything i've seen done in powdercoat doesn't really look like chrome. but obviously i haven't seen everything!

locally i can have the powder coat shop sand blast my bike frame and coat it for $100 to $150. Price depends on their attitude for the day so it seems. also depends on the color. if they are already doing a lot of that color, i get a better price. If i need some weird color that nothing else is getting, price goes up! (cleaning the gun/booth takes time.) Two stage colors are more expensive too (like the Prismatic metallic colors), because it has to be sprayed and baked twice (color and then clear).
20190624_211203_resized.jpg

Here is a picture of my rim. It is called ultrachrome. I will be spraying it with a coat of Spraymax 2K clear to protect it from UV light. The powder coating clear mottles the finish so much that it looks like aluminum rather than chrome. The guy at the powder coating place said people have had car rims done in this and then clearcoated at s paint shop with a 2K clearcoat and it only slightly dulls the finish.

cfh

To me the whole point behind powder coat is to avoid spraying 2-part clear auto urethane. was there a reason they didn't want to use a power coat clear, over the "ultrachrome", opposed to spraying clear 2-part auto urethane clear?

GustoGuy

To me the whole point behind powder coat is to avoid spraying 2-part clear auto urethane. was there a reason they didn't want to use a power coat clear, over the "ultrachrome", opposed to spraying clear 2-part auto urethane clear?
Unfortunately the clear powder when it is coated over the Ultrachrome disrupts the shiny reflective surface when it is reheated at 400 degrees to cure it. He said that they have done automobile rims with Ultrachrome and people have taken the rims to a paint shop and had them sprayed with a durable 2K urethane clear coat to provide UV protection. The spray 2K urethane clear coat only slightly dulls the Chrome finish unlike the baked on powder coat clear and provides the needed protection from UV damage. I have 2 cans of Spraymax clear coat and I will do my bikes frame and gas tank and wheels with it for protection from UV and to make the gasoline tank resistant to damage from spilled gasoline.

cfh

I guess that kind of makes sense because every time I use one of these ultra chrome powder coats, they clearcoat it with powder coat. And you’re right, it never looks like chrome. The gloss is completely different. I guess I’ll have to try it and see how it looks. Just hate spraying two part urethane. They are really toxic and expensive

GustoGuy

I guess that kind of makes sense because every time I use one of these ultra chrome powder coats, they clearcoat it with powder coat. And you’re right, it never looks like chrome. The gloss is completely different. I guess I’ll have to try it and see how it looks. Just hate spraying two part urethane. They are really toxic and expensive
I bought a 3M respirator which painters use off Amazon and I will spray my bike frame and wheels and gas tank and fenders after I paint and 2000 grit wet sand the red paint to perfection. Since the catalyst 2K only last about 24 hours after activating it I will do a final clear coat only after I am happy with how the paint turns out. Turns out I have a 1971 Rupp Roadster 2 since there is red paint under the yellow paint which the previous owner painted it.