Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Windber Rules???

Well I guess I am one of the “Minicycle-Dirt Bike” offenders. I did take my slightly vintage Kawasaki KLX 110 minicycle to putt around on, ( Production Date, Jan 2013, so 5 months old at the time of Windber.) Big Rob, thanks for not throwing it into the Camp Fire. However, I will point out that this bike has all of 6.5 HP and can reach the mind blowing speed of 45 mph in about 20 secs, wow, very non-fast. I also took my vintage Powell Challenger H Model that had been highly modified by my brother David with a power upgrade from an original 4 HP to 19HP and could reach about 60 mph in a matter of seconds in a quick burst on the grass behind where I parked.

My point is this, there were a lot of idiots there driving everything and anything fast and riskless. It did not specifically matter what the production date of the bike was or for that matter, the last date it was modified to be far from what it was originally intended to be, ( ie. My Super Powell) I also want to point out that I realize that this is an event for “vintage minibikes” I’m not real sure what this means exactly, I would think it meet as original, not a mini-cycle or minibike that non produces 3 times its original HP and speed. I didn’t see many original “minibikes,” but there were a few. My brothers and I brought 3 of them, well 4 if you count ZZ’s E-Rivet electric bike.

I think the event organizer should ask both members and non-member attendees to follow some basic speed guidelines, and drive with common sense. This would include, racing and riding fast only in the areas layed out for such activity. I was amazed that there were people racing, and racing FAST around the little grass area where Gumpit and some others were setup. I visited my new friends over there several times and had to hold my granddaughter hand tightly. I don’t believe this was a designed flat track. There was also kids driving both go karts and minibikes that never looked once before plowing across the dirt road, many times avoiding near misses. Common Sense is the Operative Word. Maybe we should ask the organizers of the event to put some of this common sense into RULES, and then,Play Right, or Don’t Play.

OK, I’m done. I do want to add that I and my brothers had a GREAT time at Windber this year. I want to thank Jeff for putting on this event, and hope that he continues to do so for many years in the future. I and my brothers, our wifes, and my granddaughter, ZZ are planning to attend next year. We had a blast. Who knows, next year, I may bring Big Rob’s Mini Powell with a 19 HP Mod Honda on it, but I’ll ride it safely.

Jesse

I agree totally about the minicycles , if there wouldn't have been any there i would not have gotten beat on the flat track . Those dam CRF50'S , and want everyone to know that i told my brother to leave the KLX 110 home but no he had to bring it .

old-timer

Scamming Member
Events of this type and size can be tuff to set all the different do's and dont's. My first instinct would be to say use common sense. However sometimes when children are involved, common sense goes out the window.:shrug:

Vic

my humble opinion is that any bike can attend the reunion. only mini bikes
can participate in the parade, contests, races, etc.. think of the minicycles
as pit bikes, they are there for transportation, not participation.

the kids riding bikes and karts was a beautiful sight. some of them drove
with reckless abandon and some were careful. watching those kids ride
instead of playing nintendo was great.

the reunion seemed to work perfectly as a self governing activity. the
closest adult should discipline any minor doing some thing stupid!

just my ever so humble opinion :thumbsup:

i missed windber this year but in the sfv outlaw races .
the best way to classify the minibikes was- pull start/single speed /centrifugal clutch /i'm pretty sure there are still some vids on youtube
sfvisbf minimoto /one of our evil members was the tech inspector:laugh::laugh:

Well I think we can wait and see what Jeff says or we can be proactive. Jeff has mentioned in the past flyers that "modern dirtbikes" were not permitted. I saw more this year than last year. If he didn't want them then I would guess he wants them less now that people were tearing around on them. I don't personally consider the CT70's minibikes. But I think they are totally non offensive in that setting. I wouldn't call a Baja Doodlebug vintage but I think even if it were bought on the way to WINDBER brand new in the store it would certainly be appropriate there. There is an obvious look and purpose to the bikes referred to as "modern dirtbikes". I don't think they belong at Windber any more than Jeff does. But it is not my show. It is his. Why cant we as an "OLD MINIBIKES" group just respect that, and maybe be proactive and send him something that says we as a group will not bring them in the future and we will police ourselves as best as we can. Maybe elect a person to be the "bad guy" and if someone within our group feels a mini is unacceptable bring it to the "bad guys" attention and they can approach the person in question. Or at least be the person to ask Jeff personally if it is ok or not. Not sure if this makes sense or not. But just a thought. :anon.sml:

MB165

what was it with people bring motorcross/Enduro/dirt bikes this year........ someone said jeff was little up set with the guys drag racing on top of the hill. also i thought the flyer said no motorcross type bikes. also must of miss this too. someone was driving a small car up the hill....... can't believe no one got hurt?
i thought it was a minibike show ....:shrug:
I noticed it too this year, less riding on the trails and more in the pits, im not sure if ill park up there again. In my five years of attending i have never seen such a free for all. I had two incidents with somone crossing two feet in front of me, i was going dead slow so there was no crash.
Before I first came to Windber, I emailed Jeff to see if even my minibaja was acceptable being a newer minibike.
I definatly agree at least a basic definition of minibike should be followed, pull start, (kickers for the old tec's are OK in my book) auto clutch. In my opinion the old hondas are ok, without the big bore lifan engines...

We do need to help Jeff, he has asked me in the past to help keep the kids oval safe. so with that said, i second the last posts.

Well I think we can wait and see what Jeff says or we can be proactive. Jeff has mentioned in the past flyers that "modern dirtbikes" were not permitted. I saw more this year than last year. If he didn't want them then I would guess he wants them less now that people were tearing around on them. I don't personally consider the CT70's minibikes. But I think they are totally non offensive in that setting. I wouldn't call a Baja Doodlebug vintage but I think even if it were bought on the way to WINDBER brand new in the store it would certainly be appropriate there. There is an obvious look and purpose to the bikes referred to as "modern dirtbikes". I don't think they belong at Windber any more than Jeff does. But it is not my show. It is his. Why cant we as an "OLD MINIBIKES" group just respect that, and maybe be proactive and send him something that says we as a group will not bring them in the future and we will police ourselves as best as we can. Maybe elect a person to be the "bad guy" and if someone within our group feels a mini is unacceptable bring it to the "bad guys" attention and they can approach the person in question. Or at least be the person to ask Jeff personally if it is ok or not. Not sure if this makes sense or not. But just a thought. :anon.sml:

Anybody who shows up Thursday or earlier can be on the bad guy committee. I elect Randy as the leader / enforcer even though he's just a little guy. :wink:

I think anyone who spoke to Jeff this year heard how he felt about the dirt bikes being there. And I also think anyone who's spoken to Jeff ever would know that he and his family are way too busy during the reunion to police this kind of thing. Not to mention, he's just entirely too nice a guy to make much of a big deal about it or tell anyone to leave the bikes in the trailer regardless.