wiring a head light to a predator 212cc

Hey guys, with the days getting shorter and night coming sooner, I hate not being able to ride my bike after dark, which comes at like, 5 o clock during the winter. What I want to do is wire a head light so I don't wrap myself around a tree in the dark. I heard that you can use the coil or something to power the light. So I attached the ground wire of the light to the wire coming from the off side of the stock on/off switch and connecting via bolt to the fan shroud (the big black thing the pull start is connected to). I then connected the positive wire to the wire coming straight from the on side of the on/off switch using a wire bolt. I had the switch on the on position, and attempted to start the engine. It wouldn't start. So I disconnected the light, and the engine started right back up! I then reconnected the light the same way and you guessed it, it wouldn't start. does anyone know what I'm doing wrong and what I can do to fix it? By the way, it is not a fuel or carburetor problem.

You need a lighting coil set to power a light if you are connecting it to the on off wire the light will just kill the ignition.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
A lighting coil is a specific coil for power , separate from ignition coil mounted behind the flywheel and requires a flywheel that has extra magnets for this purpose

For basic lighting needs a removeable battery perhaps from an rc car may work as it can be removed to charge

Hello and welcome, a lighting coil is not " Just that simple "

I don't know what engine you are using but, The easy is to get a Lithium battery and a 12V LED light.

Install a pouch for the battery and mount the light, charge when needed.

The higher the rating the longer the life.

These are just sudgestions, its all up to you and what light you like.
thanks for your response, once I heard the world lighting coil, I knew this was easier said than done. I wanted to refrain from using a battery because they are a bit expensive and heavy but, it looks like my only option that I'll actually know what I'm doing. I guess I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

These batteries are somewhat small and easy to tuck away.
yeah I guess I was thinking of possibly electric scooter batteries but these lithium ion batteries look much better. I do have one question, how will I connect the battery to the light without modifying the connector on the battery?

here is a you tube video of installing it so you can see the parts required and how it is done.
thanks for the video! It doesn't seem as complicated now. I saw in the video that you need to get the lighting coil sub assembly and flywheel from an old Baja warrior or baja heat engine. Do you know where I can get one of those engines for cheap? I mean like dirt cheap like 30-40 dollars. The engine doesn't have to run but the flywheel, empeller, and lighting coil assembly need to be functional. Thanks.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
I wish you luck on that find. Here is a e-bay on the light coils but still does not help with the rest.

Beware of you are running a Predator, the taper on the Baja/clone flywheel isn't the same and
Will not seat properly.

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

Beware of you are running a Predator, the taper on the Baja/clone flywheel isn't the same and
Will not seat properly.

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]
Aw man! I thought it was going to be simple! Anyway, thanks for telling me this. I would not want to ruin my engine. It looks like the easiest option is to go with the battery but, I'll keep this whole lighting coil ordeal in mind.

s-l225_002.jpg Cree 5000 lumen LED light on ebay , $25 comes with a very small rechargeable battery in a black pouch with velcro strap , charger and light that clamps on handle bar , beyond super bright with 3 light levels , long run time as well , only way to go IMO ?

Last edited: