WLB's 2013 open class build

WLB

When it comes to the computer, I am just now up to the dinosaur stage. Didn't manage to get any text to go with the picture and couldn't make the edit feature work.

I hope to complete a trail scooter along the lines of a Cheetah, Big Cat, and ToteGote with design elements of several other minibikes thrown in. I do have sprockets, material for jackshafts and rear axle, a front hub from a Honda ATC, and bearings that I forgot to carry to the barn for the picture. I will consider this project a success if it will haul me, my gear, and a dead deer out of the woods. Since deer season will be over Sunday, I'll have to substitute a log of the correct weight for the test.

My first chore will be to machine an adapter for the Honda ATC hub to hold the rear sprocket so I will know just how wide this thing will be.

WLB

I think the battery was getting low in the camera and didn't get a strong flash. The first pic I took was much lighter but I forgot the beverage can.:doah:

Really not much there: ATC front end, another ATC wheel, a new Predator engine, and a few pieces of steel. Have to wait until the snow melts and the ground freezes to get my trailer out to buy more steel. Have plenty of machine work to do in the meantime.

WLB

Thanks Buckeye Wish I was down there in L A or at our Mississippi tree farm. It's 7 degrees here.

I got some machine work done yesterday. Made the sprocket adapter and the steering neck.

WLB

Machined a sprocket carrier for the jackshaft yesterday and cut some lightening holes in one of the sprockets today. The 8 holes removes 10 ounces of rotating weight. I'll do the other sprocket next week. Going deer hunting tomorrow and will be working on a friends race car all weekend.

WLB

I got my rear hub assembly welded up today. Chucked it up in the lathe and checked for run out and it was within .005. Will check again after I install the bearings and take a light (hopefully) truing cut. Welds don't look too nice but they will do. Age is catching up with me. Can't see to weld like I used to and not as steady.

I got my rear hub assembly welded up today. Chucked it up in the lathe and checked for run out and it was within .005. Will check again after I install the bearings and take a light (hopefully) truing cut. Welds don't look too nice but they will do. Age is catching up with me. Can't see to weld like I used to and not as steady.
nice job- it's cool you are able to fabricate all of this stuff. don't be too hard on your welds... Have you seen some of the welds that come on the new/modern bikes these days?

WLB

I may have gotten carried away with the tire size Buckeye.

I took everything out to the dungeon, cut out wooden discs to represent the torque converter, and mocked everything up. Now just have to cut and weld metal to connect everything and I'll be ready to ride:smile::smile::smile::scooter:

WLB

Haven't done work much on Mr Goat (I've named it before it is even finished) lately. Between the cold, rebuilding the front end on my Blazer, and helping a friend get his race car together for the World of Wheels car show next weekend the only thing I have accomplished is to bend up the lower frame rail and mock up the down tubes from the neck to the lower frame rail.

The down tubes need to be in the form of a large arc so can't be bent on my tubing bender. I don't have a tubing roller so will have to come up with some fixture to hand bend it.

buckeye

I remember someone using a 25 lb weight from a weight lifting set. Those plastic coated kind. Don't know if that helps ya??