WLB's 2013 open class build

WLB

MR GOAT LIVES.

I hooked up the throttle cable, put on the chain, spent an hour trying to find a parts store that had 4 mm fuel line, gave up and used 3/16th. Seems ok, no leaks so far. Pushed the front tire against the Suburban's bumper and fired it up. Everything seemed ok so I took it for a ride in the back yard. It is much easier to balance at low speed than the Tote Gote. I could ride around the yard at just a hair faster than a walking speed and never have to put my feet down. It might be a few mph slower than the Tote Gote on the top end but is about as fast as I will ever need to go on our farms. With the long wheelbase and large tires it will be faster than the Tote Gote across a harvested corn field. It still has the governor hooked up and I see no need to remove it.

We had the Tote Gote out also and my wife, our son, and I had a really nice time riding them. Now I need to find another big wheeled trail bike so we can all ride at once.

I didn't have a brake cable that would work, and like the Tote Gote, Mr Goat stops just fine without brakes. Just let off the throttle on either bike and they stop quickly. The Tote Gote's brake will about throw you over the handlebars if you grab it hard and aren't ready for it. I still have many things to make for Mr Goat but it does run and has exceeded all my expectations.

My son made a video which I will add either here or on my website.

WLB

Here is a picture of it. The video is on my son's camera and will depend on where he puts it. I don't know how to add videos to this site.

Am I ever embarrassed. When I went out to take this picture I discovered that one rear axle nut is missing and I remembered that in my haste to test it I didn't tighten the axle nuts after adjusting the chain. Whoever's day it was to watch me slipped up.:smile::smile::smile:

WLB

Dave, a plow is definitely on my list of accessories to build for it.:smile::smile::smile:

Thanks deejaaa

I got the treated plywood today for the rear seat base. Had to do a little concrete job this afternoon so didn't get anything else done on Mr. goat. Probably will get the material for the screens on the sides of the tires tomorrow. Hope to get a rear seat, screens for the sides of the tires, and some sort of cover for the torque converter made before the 31st.

WLB

Got the cover for the torque cover made and painted. It's kind of crude since the only way I could make it quickly was to make it out of steel. Also got the wood for the rear seat/cargo area, put 5 coats of urethane varnish on it and bolted it in place for now. Eventually I will hinge it and have a tool tray under the seat but for now I just want to get it finished enough that I can give it a thorough test on the farms. Also made the side screens and have primed one side. If the rain holds off I may get them painted tonight. The DZUS buttons that I have are too short so I'll have to find some longer ones.

Great job WLB. That thing is just massive. What a great change from little-framed go-fast minis. You stuck with what you dreamed up and got it done. Really great build....Spooker

WLB

Thanks Spooker and YOOP, every time I ride it I have a grin from ear to ear. It balances so easy and is so docile and controllable at low speed I can't believe it. I was afraid I had built a monster because it was so big but the length and tire size just work great together.

YOOP, I'd sure like to try to carry a moose out of the woods but I have never seen a moose on our farms.

The rain held off and I got the rear screens painted. Just need to get longer DZUS buttons and have a friend make a decal that says "Mr Goat"

I remembered that in my haste to test it I didn't tighten the axle nuts after adjusting the chain. Whoever's day it was to watch me slipped up.:smile::smile::smile:
That has happened to me so many times I can't remeber them all it's when the minibike fever grips you and even without brakes you just gotta ride.

Very nice build:thumbsup:

Last edited:

WLB

Thanks butch63.

Tank, I still haven't made brake cables and they are far down on my list. Both the Tote Gote and Mr Goat slow very quickly just by closing the throttle. Hopefully I will get to take both of them to the farms this Friday.

I need to rivet the DZUS springs on the tabs, take a measurement and run up to Gasoline Ally and buy some buttons that will fit and then see if I can get a decal made. Just 4 days left counting today.