Worth it but what is it ???

Edited... I ran across this Super Bronc at my neighbors and purchased it for $300 and but am wondering what exactly it is and how to get, where to get stuffs to get it going. It does come with the seat (heavily worn) and shocks (probably need replacing but where), looks like it is missing a part or two on the back of the engine, the belt cover and a bunch of other odds and ends. How can I tell what year the engine is (where is it stamped), or possibly date the frame? I have included a close up of the carb stamp, can someone help me source the repair kit and translate the date code? Also, thank you mustangfrank, found and posted the fan shroud markings, what does it all mean?? And now I am back to... the how's and where's...

Attachments

Last edited:

mustangfrank

I ran across this Super Bronc for $500 and am wondering if it is worth it. It does come with the seat (heavily worn) and shocks (probably need replacing but where), looks like it is missing a part or two on the back of the engine, the belt cover and a bunch of other odds and ends. How can I tell what year the engine is (where is it stamped), or possibly date the frame? I have included a close up of the carb stamp, can someone help me source the repair kit and translate the date code? And now I am back to... is it worth it??
Top of the engine fan shroud will have stamped numbers for dating and engine type (HM80). Forks and narrower front wheel and tire looks like it's a Trail Bronc, not Super.

Forum rules state "no values given" so you gotta decide on your own if it's worth it to you. IMHO...if pickins are slim near you it's not too terribly priced, especially if you can get it running with just basic tuneup/maintenance and like patina...I did notice the fuel pump is missing after replying too.

If you're looking to do a restoration it's going to need everything though, looks like it was well enjoyed and not stored in the best of conditions...don't plan on staying above water in value.

Addicted 2 Minis

$300, you did good, it's got a 74 8hp Tecumseh, I believe those had a special exhaust on them (the Super does) but if your not worried about originality your standard canister style muffler will do. I'd just clean it up and try to get it going first before throwing any real money into it, a shot of paint while it's apart wouldn't hurt though. Seats for these are more than what you paid for the whole bike so I'd just repair/recover the original the best you can and be happy. If the shock struts aren't rusty, try to reuse those too. One thing I have found is, no matter how frugal you try to be in the beginning, you'll have just as much into it as if you bought one that was already done. This is why I highly recommend a good cleanup, replace/repack all the bearings, get the chrome shined up as good as you can and enjoy.Here's a shot of a Super Bronc a buddy mine just sold for $2,500 which is at the top of the food chain for one of these.

1624924071403.jpeg

Last edited:
Top of the engine fan shroud will have stamped numbers for dating and engine type (HM80). Forks and narrower front wheel and tire looks like it's a Trail Bronc, not Super.

Forum rules state "no values given" so you gotta decide on your own if it's worth it to you. IMHO...if pickins are slim near you it's not too terribly priced, especially if you can get it running with just basic tuneup/maintenance and like patina...I did notice the fuel pump is missing after replying too.

If you're looking to do a restoration it's going to need everything though, looks like it was well enjoyed and not stored in the best of conditions...don't plan on staying above water in value.
$300, you did good, it's got a 74 8hp Tecumseh, I believe those had a special exhaust on them (the Super does) but if your not worried about originality your standard canister style muffler will do. I'd just clean it up and try to get it going first before throwing any real money into it, a shot of paint while it's apart wouldn't hurt though. Seats for these are more than what you paid for the whole bike so I'd just repair/recover the original the best you can and be happy. If the shock struts aren't rusty, try to reuse those too. One thing I have found is, no matter how frugal you try to be in the beginning, you'll have just as much into it as if you bought one that was already done. This is why I highly recommend a good cleanup, replace/repack all the bearings, get the chrome shined up as good as you can and enjoy.Here's a shot of a Super Bronc a buddy mine just sold for $2,500 which is at the top of the food chain for one of these.

View attachment 279900
Thank you for the insights, a '74 should be fun. Now that I have been looking at it, I'm almost afraid that if I put paint on it, I will have to "finish" it, lol. I think the shocks will clean up as will the front fender, but the rear is toast and as such really can't get much worse. The seat may be serviceable after a lot of conditioner, we will see. It was mentioned that I am missing a fuel pump, does that connect to the crankcase, because I have an odd tube coming out of there that I am not certain about??

mustangfrank

Thank you for the insights, a '74 should be fun. Now that I have been looking at it, I'm almost afraid that if I put paint on it, I will have to "finish" it, lol. I think the shocks will clean up as will the front fender, but the rear is toast and as such really can't get much worse. The seat may be serviceable after a lot of conditioner, we will see. It was mentioned that I am missing a fuel pump, does that connect to the crankcase, because I have an odd tube coming out of there that I am not certain about??
Yes that tube goes to the pulse fitting on the fuel pump. Later/other revisions of that engine used a drop 90 degree intake to avoid having to use a fuel pump.

Check out the media section here on OldMiniBikes, lots of Heald/Bronc images uploaded to get familiar with your new toy.

You'll need a fuel pump like the one pictured, usually around $15-$30 depending where you buy it and if it's a Tecumseh part or knock-off. There's a fuel inlet, an outlet and a pulse line port that will connect where the tube is that is on the back of the engine. Just do a search for Tecumseh HM80 fuel pump, I'm not sure where they mounted these, but it shouldn't be too long before someone can provide some pictures. As far as the rear fender goes, the chrome may be toast but I'd keep the fender and just paint it silver.

1624927777231.png

It all starts with that one new high dollar part ( fenders, seat, etc. ) then it's all down hill from there. I have found once you start making it new again, you have so much into it that you don't want to ride it. Unless man cave ornaments are what you're after and enjoy building them and the self satisfaction of your work is your hobby then by all means, get'r done!.

mustangfrank

You'll need a fuel pump like the one pictured, usually around $15-$30 depending where you buy it and if it's a Tecumseh part or knock-off. There's a fuel inlet, an outlet and a pulse line port that will connect where the tube is that is on the back of the engine. Just do a search for Tecumseh HM80 fuel pump, I'm not sure where they mounted these, but it shouldn't be too long before someone can provide some pictures. As far as the rear fender goes, the chrome may be toast but I'd keep the fender and just paint it silver.

View attachment 279903
These work fine but you should figure out a mount with the plastic fittings. The originals were rectangular metal units and the hoses actually hold it in place, the pulse port is on the bottom and the fuel lines pass "through" in the proper direction.

mustangfrank

I see that I have a governor on the engine, how necessary is this item? Please be gentle, I really am a noobie...
Leave it, it is integral to the throttle assembly you have anyway. The HM engines are a little more durable than the small HS series but the stock rod will not like over-revving. Get it running stock, it should lift the front tire on acceleration if the engine isn't worn out. If you want more power later a HM100 (10hp) bolts right in.

Leave it, it is integral to the throttle assembly you have anyway. The HM engines are a little more durable than the small HS series but the stock rod will not like over-revving. Get it running stock, it should lift the front tire on acceleration if the engine isn't worn out. If you want more power later a HM100 (10hp) bolts right in.

Thank you for the notes on the governor, I asked because it is built into the shroud and looks to be fun to remove to service. Did a little research and though the photo doesn't really show it, the down tubes are tapered out for the larger tire, I think the previous owner just went for a smaller tire. I am posting a couple of new pictures to show the exact "Before" state. I think the power should be ok, it is a grandson build, lol.

You edited your original post. You told us it was listed at $500 (if memory serves).

Come on, man. That changes almost everything. :oops:
LOL, I was trying to be true to the post... went to see it for $500, after posting I just couldn't leave it alone and ended up buying it for $300. It does change almost everything, lol... I have some $$ for a fuel pump, ignition parts and hoses. Going for a Roadkill restore if this will let me.

Funny how "worth it?" is always (usually) a monetary value on here. Restoring or repairing old anything's and looking at the flip/turnaround/resale value is not a good investment--the "worth it" part to me is personal. It's pride of ownership or reclaiming your youth, or "I always wanted one of those"...

IMO.
YES! I remember drooling over Carl Heald bikes in the ad section of Popular Science and Popular Mechanics mags when I was a kid. carl heald ad.jpg

mustangfrank

Thank you for the notes on the governor, I asked because it is built into the shroud and looks to be fun to remove to service. Did a little research and though the photo doesn't really show it, the down tubes are tapered out for the larger tire, I think the previous owner just went for a smaller tire. I am posting a couple of new pictures to show the exact "Before" state. I think the power should be ok, it is a grandson build, lol.
If I need to remove the shroud, I take the two screws out holding the throttle assembly to the shroud and let it hang there with the linkage attached.