Would anyone here be interested in a Minibike meet in Maryland?

Would anyone be interested in a Minibike event in Maryland?

• No Thanks.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hello all,
While checking out the Minibike Events, I noticed there were none here in Maryland. So I talked with fellow forum member MB165 about it and he agreed that having a Minibike Event here in Md. would be cool. So I am doing a poll to see what the interest would be.
Thanks,
Shawn

MB165

This is very preliminary, if there are any opinions for time of the year please let us know.
we could have something at my house but i only have a acre, there's a school across the street but its cop city .....im looking for property so we can ride, maybe rent a farmers field, gonna check on the parking lot of the Howard county fairgrounds, its right off I70 its about 15 acres with gravel lanes...

If you are serious about doing it and want it to work and grow you need to do it right. You are going to get people that will drive a great distance that don't want to hang out in a parking lot and do circles. I would think you would want a place where people could camp out. Has bathrooms,showers and food/beverages. Not to mention insurance liabilities. No matter how small,if you advertise it then it's "your" event. And you would be responsible. Whether that is paying for an insurance binder or just having people sign waivers. You might want to talk to Jeff at Windber this year to see what is involved. A fairgrounds might be a better deal because they take on much of the responsibility but they will charge admission. Otherwise you are better off just driving around on your one acre with friends. Rule #1.. Cover your ass.

If you are serious about doing it and want it to work and grow you need to do it right. You are going to get people that will drive a great distance that don't want to hang out in a parking lot and do circles. I would think you would want a place where people could camp out. Has bathrooms,showers and food/beverages. Not to mention insurance liabilities. No matter how small,if you advertise it then it's "your" event. And you would be responsible. Whether that is paying for an insurance binder or just having people sign waivers. You might want to talk to Jeff at Windber this year to see what is involved. A fairgrounds might be a better deal because they take on much of the responsibility but they will charge admission. Otherwise you are better off just driving around on your one acre with friends. Rule #1.. Cover your ass.
Thanks for chiming in Gumpit. As MB165 mentioned, everything is preliminary right now. I am also scouting some potential locations and there are a couple of nice Fairgrounds in my area that would be great for a minibike event. I made some calls to mine and the neighboring county a couple weeks ago to see what is needed to host an event like this but I am still waiting to hear back. Also, there is a local drag strip that I am going to talk to about hosting a mini bike, go kart and trike drag race as part of the event if everything works out.

Shawn

MB165

another angle is the public riding areas we have. no liability since its public land...bikes have to be registered with the dept of nat. resources its $15 a year, and they do have a minibike classification. there is a beautiful area with campsites, group campsites (us), toilets, and miles on good graVEL roads but its closer to pittsburgh than baltimore. Ill call the fairgrounds this week and see whats up.

Off-Road Vehicle Use on Maryland's Public Lands

another angle is the public riding areas we have. no liability since its public land...bikes have to be registered with the dept of nat. resources its $15 a year, and they do have a minibike classification. there is a beautiful area with campsites, group campsites (us), toilets, and miles on good graVEL roads but its closer to pittsburgh than baltimore. Ill call the fairgrounds this week and see whats up.

Off-Road Vehicle Use on Maryland's Public Lands
Sounds like a great place. Probably much better than what is available here in my county. Also, I just called the office at the local drag strip about weekend track rentals for a yearly mini bike, go kart and trike drag race, show and swap meet but the track owner was on the other line and will be calling me back.

Shawn

Last edited:
I just wanted to give an update. I spoke to the local powers that be and I was told that there are no off road vehicles of any kind allowed on county or state property even if it's for a special event and the cost to use the local drag strip is extremely cost prohibitive! It would be in the Thousands to host a Minibike Drag Race / Swap Meet! But hopefully MB165 may have some luck in his town.

Shawn

Last edited:
Hey folks, Saturday,August 22, 2015 is Simple Transport 8 in Hagerstown, MD. It will include air cooled VWs and bicycles of all vintages. Minibikes are more than welcome. A nominal entrance fee will benefit the local BMX track. Come show off your rides! Hope to see you there.

Hey folks, Saturday,August 22, 2015 is Simple Transport 8 in Hagerstown, MD. It will include air cooled VWs and bicycles of all vintages. Minibikes are more than welcome. A nominal entrance fee will benefit the local BMX track. Come show off your rides! Hope to see you there.
Thanks for the post. :thumbsup: Sounds like a fun event. Will there be any mini bike riding or racing?

Shawn

Last edited:
It's a very cool VW show and the bmx/bicycle stuff is cool to see also.

One of the promoters will have to comment on the riding/racing of mini bikes. If I had to guess, you might be able to ride around the show but there really isn't an area for racing that I've seen there.

I'm down for an event in Maryland... I'm currently building my manco fire hawk though so I wont be able to bring it if its in the near future..

I'm down for an event in Maryland... I'm currently building my manco fire hawk though so I wont be able to bring it if its in the near future..
Unfortunately it won't be anytime soon as I have been unable to find a suitable location. However, I am still looking for one as is fellow forum member, MB165. Also, be sure and post some pics of your Manco when it I finished.

Shawn