wrenchdad's Bird "Blue Thunder" vintage class 2014 build off

WrenchDad

Bird Thunderbird The plan is take it all apart, deep clean, degrease. repair what I need to, Keeping it original. Repaint (paint scheme yet to be determined). I'll keep the original seat but will probably recover it ,as it is missing some foam rubber in spots.

Also I will partake in the "Red Nose" challenge....... I do like a good Red Nose challenge.

Ignore the date it was a reset error.

WrenchDad

Sorry Yoop I completely forgot about the mid month post but I still want to be in the build off, I just haven't been able to work on the bike yet. I have posted a picture of the motor waiting to be taken apart cleaned and painted. will that work?

WrenchDad

Not much of an update, but I got the tins off the motor and the frame all apart. started cleaning and prepping for paint. I need to do a little rehab on the seat and some work on the fenders before paint but it is some progress. I'll get some pics up before to long.

WrenchDad

Well last post I was supposed to get these in for cleaning but that didn't happen. They are in the car ready to head out. I have access to a bead blaster so I'll use that to prep this thing is nasty.JPG[/img][/url]

WrenchDad

Nuthin like last minute.:thumbsup:
Ya I know, I haven't had much painting weather anyways it was still low forties last week. At least now I can get moving and most of the prep wont take long. I'm making a cover for the seat and I've already straightened the fenders so I should have enough time.

WrenchDad

OK got some clean up done only have the frame and one wheel left to do. I was going to put some filler on the fenders today to fill in some of the pits. But it dropped from 76f yesterday to 33f today with snow. So I'll have to wait another week. But thaqt gives me time to do a couple other things.

WrenchDad

Thanks guys, Question for ya, A guy at work does powder coating and his oven is only big enough for small pieces (probabably every thing but the frame). So I may have him do some of the small pieces in silver. Question is do I need to fill the pits on the fenders or will the coating cover that.and do I need to prime them first? (I can ask him too but I like to hear your imput).

Thanks WD

Get some Lab Metal for the fenders and fill with that. It withstands the heat. Don't prime anything to be powder coated. It all has to go on bare metal.

Doc

WrenchDad

Get some Lab Metal for the fenders and fill with that. It withstands the heat. Don't prime anything to be powder coated. It all has to go on bare metal.

Doc
Sounds Good. The guy who powder coats said he'll do three coats and that will fill in the pits.

WrenchDad

Well still waiting on the powder coat. I may just end up spraying it. Have been working on covering the seat should have that complete will post pictures soon.