x-90 rider, 2018 JFF/Drag Bike Class

I just recently watched some videos of you racing this bike. It was not as fast on the track as it looks and I thought oh boy I might actually have a chance at racing a bike like this and being competitive. Now you are putting a 420 into it. Kind of tough to compete with that running a small block predator. 10 second 1/8's at 65 mph.....maybe, I hope to see you at the track this summer. I love the bike, looks badass. What rim and tire are you running out back?
Last year the bike ran 15 seconds at 40MPH. We had a mild 6.5 clone that probably put out 9-10HP. The 1st time out was at Ubly and I learned how to ride the bike. It ran straight and true. We could not get the engine to develop full RPM and we felt that the TAV was the problem. The second time out we went to Milan. Prior to Milan we checked the clutches and regeared the bike. It made no difference during the time trials. The bike still ran 15 seconds at 40MPH. On the last time trial run I broke the primary clutch. The engine idles at 2000RPMs and the clutch engages at 2600RPMs. We had a replacement clutch but it had a 1800 RPM engagement speed. During eliminations the bike was touchy on the starting line. As soon as the engine started, the clutch was engaging. I had to hold the brake firmly to keep the bike under control. With the clutch locking in at idle, the belt was burning as soon as the engine started. All I smelled at the starting line was burning belt. with the belt eating itself up I was losing 2/10 of a second per run because the belt was getting thinner after every run. I changed my dial-in time after every run by 2/10 of a second. The other problem is that with the clutch was already engaging at idle on the starting line so the bike would not launch correctly.

I am installing the 420 because I feel that a mild big block build will be more cost effective than a wild build on a 6.5HP motor. Also I am after no/low maintenance between races. I travel overseas a lot and I want a fun ride when I get home with minimal maintenance. As far as ET times, do not worry. This is dial-in bracket racing. Everyone has an even chance of winning. You will see bikes running 25MPH to bikes that run 85+MPH, and plenty of bikes in between. It's not about how fast you can run, it is about how consistently you can run your chosen dial-in time.

Rear wheel: JR Race Car 555-754-03 - JR Race Car 3-Spoke Jr. Dragster Polished Rear Wheels, size 8" x 8".
Rear Tire: Mickey Thompson 90000000943 - ET Jr. Drag Slick, 18x8-8, Bias-Ply, M2 Compound, Blackwall

Last edited:

delray

it does look little long and heavy for a small block to push it. you would need alot of small block to move it. Big Block should be ideal for that chassis setup.....:thumbsup:

Plans have changed on my bike. I am currently sitting at the airport in Seattle waiting to leave for China. This is a 3 week trip to China, Macau, and Hong Kong. Then I get to fly home for 6 days before returning to Hong Kong. Next I head to the Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, and Korea, before returning home after Memorial Day Weekend.
All of this travel for work is stopping the progress on my bike. Finishing the GX420 engine is not a problem. Designing and machining a big block engine adapter plate with the clutch and jackshaft supports is the problem.To start the 2018 race season(late, of course) I will have to use last years engine and TAV system. The engine ran fine but the TAV is definitely getting tweeked. I will finish the GX420 and adapter plate as the race season progresses.

20180415_101342.jpg

Plans have changed on my bike. I am currently sitting at the airport in Seattle waiting to leave for China. This is a 3 week trip to China, Macau, and Hong Kong. Then I get to fly home for 6 days before returning to Hong Kong. Next I head to the Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, and Korea, before returning home after Memorial Day Weekend.
All of this travel for work is stopping the progress on my bike. Finishing the GX420 engine is not a problem. Designing and machining a big block engine adapter plate with the clutch and jackshaft supports is the problem.To start the 2018 race season(late, of course) I will have to use last years engine and TAV system. The engine ran fine but the TAV is definitely getting tweeked. I will finish the GX420 and adapter plate as the race season progresses.

View attachment 104719
Very cool frame! Looks great! It's good that you will get to finish it with all that travel ahead of you

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Very cool frame! Looks great! It's good that you will get to finish it with all that travel ahead of you

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I would recommend getting the blue and silver springs for the driver along with light weights. You can also drill them if you’d like to get them lighter. This will raise your stall to around 4200ish rpm. I would also clock the spring in the driven to tighten it (to the left I believe) it’ll allow it to rev more before shifting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any progress? I recall seeing the orange iteration at Milan last year. I was one of the other slow pokes, running low 14's at 39mph with a stock Predator.

Hope to see you out again this year, I'll try to come over an introduce myself.

Any progress? I recall seeing the orange iteration at Milan last year. I was one of the other slow pokes, running low 14's at 39mph with a stock Predator.

Hope to see you out again this year, I'll try to come over an introduce myself.
I have been in Asia for 7 weeks so my bike rebuild is way behind schedule. To get the season stated I am going to run the engine from last year. We should make it to Milan on June 22nd. Hope to see you at the track.

I have been in Asia for 7 weeks so my bike rebuild is way behind schedule. To get the season stated I am going to run the engine from last year. We should make it to Milan on June 22nd. Hope to see you at the track.
I checked the race schedule on milandragway.com and they do not list anything for June 22nd. What race is happening out there that day? Is it one of the Candyman / Studz Motorsports races?