Ya know what makes me sad?

A year ago I would have agreed ... but those HF Pred motors bring out the performance kid in me ... they are well supported by the aftermarket.

And to me a slanted forward Pred with a remote gas tank looks better than a Briggs clocked forward.

But in the end a Tech looks just right ...

Davis

Yes they do perform but these bikes weren’t built to do that when they were made. If you want to go fast buy a bullet bike.

I am a Tecumseh fan but the problem is that they just are not around anymore. 5-10 years ago you could still find new fun power Tecumseh's and an occasional nos hs40 for about 250$ on ebay. Now all you can find are clapped out long blocks selling for ridiculous money. I'm starting to embrace the future and build clones. Besides a stock predator will beat the pants off an hs40 or hs50. Embrace the future or be left in the dust!

pomfish

Yes they do perform but these bikes weren’t built to do that when they were made. If you want to go fast buy a bullet bike.
One could say the same about a 1940 Willy's Coupe not being originally built to go Drag Racing or that a VW Bug was not built to be Baja Bug/ Dune Buggy/Street Racer/ Etc.
It's called customizing or in most cases, doing the best with what you have available that fits into your budget and build time frame.

Look at it this way, every time someone bastardizes an original it makes the untouched ones worth more.
Different Strokes, Different Folks.

One more thing, those Tecumseh's were not originally designed to be mounted on angle just to to try and look like the Japanese bikes that were pounding the death nail into the American mini bike market at the time.
That was a desperation rig made by the panicked underfunded mini bike makers.
Just saying.

Later,
Keith

One could say the same about a 1940 Willy's Coupe not being originally built to go Drag Racing or that a VW Bug was not built to be Baja Bug/ Dune Buggy/Street Racer/ Etc.
It's called customizing or in most cases, doing the best with what you have available that fits into your budget and build time frame.

Look at it this way, every time someone bastardizes an original it makes the untouched ones worth more.
Different Strokes, Different Folks.

One more thing, those Tecumseh's were not originally designed to be mounted on angle just to to try and look like the Japanese bikes that were pounding the death nail into the American mini bike market at the time.
That was a desperation rig made by the panicked underfunded mini bike makers.
Just saying.

Later,
Keith
Absolutely a great point ... but I gotta say when I see a Doodlebug blow by me doing at least 50 mph and I see no front brake and original caliper/disc setup I cringe ... its fun to go fast but its important to stop!