Yamaha YZ80 2-Stroke Engine

toomanytoys

That thing would be scary on a minibike. 18 HP at 10-11k RPM. Drops off pretty quick. Between 6k and 10k you aren't going to be able to hold on the power builds so quick.

That thing would be scary on a minibike. 18 HP at 10-11k RPM. Drops off pretty quick. Between 6k and 10k you aren't going to be able to hold on the power builds so quick.
Scary is what I'm going for.:thumbsup: The engine will not be all stock. I will post some of the mods done along the way. Thank you for the information.

Go for it Jeff!! You only have to go as fast as you twist the throttle!! :thumbsup: And what I mean by that is if its too fast or too powerful for a mini its all up to you... you are the judge... you decide how far and how fast to twist that throttle!! I'd wear a full face motocross helmet and gear on this one though my friend!!

Go for it Jeff!! You only have to go as fast as you twist the throttle!! :thumbsup: And what I mean by that is if its too fast or too powerful for a mini its all up to you... you are the judge... you decide how far and how fast to twist that throttle!! I'd wear a full face motocross helmet and gear on this one though my friend!!
Thank you jdogg! I have a DOT helmet that I wear now but long pants, gloves, and pads might be needed on this project. :laugh:

toomanytoys

Maybe a 2013 but not that 1977 model . JMHO
Maybe so. But I bet that thing still builds power in a hurry in that RPM range. Maybe not 18HP, the power band is most likely going to be narrow and build up FAST.

I road some earlier YZs back when I was younger, and when those thing hit, they hit hard and fast. It was a major surprise when it came into power.

Most 2 strokers are like that either way.

I was never a good 2 stroke dirt bike rider.

Toomanytoys yes they did hit hard and would be great on a minibike . I know they would smoke the XR75 we had back then . And with some port work i bet they could make 12 plus
:thumbsup:

Yes, David Wulf you better lookout. The Yamaha is getting hungry for Powell lunch! :laugh:

Below are some more photos of engine disassembly. Enjoy.

Intake Manifold

Top End

Piston

Flywheel Magneto (Left side)

Clutch (Right side)