Yellow cart build

Also for the trouble shooting I've had the KAIDSTER running on the bench. I can not get it to die, running full throttle, revving it up, hitting the brakes to stop it, running a few minutes wide open, nothing will make it die. Only thing I can come up with is something is loose and shorting out, losing contact, vibrating while on the bumps in the yard

desert rat

If those are good then I would pull the blower housing and look at the coil pack. Cracks, rust, dirt, clean everything up then lastly adjust the coil. I have used a business card with success but there is a spec. for that. You might let the fuel out of the float bowl into a cup and check for water just in case there might be some hiding in there, while you are at it.

Last edited:

Harquebus

First thought is fuel delivery. It sounds like it's fuel starvation or leaning out the mixture. Air/vacuum leaks? Best to run on the rich side of lean. Could be a bad coil too, like desert rat says. ETA: If the fuel mixture is too lean, you could be running too hot and overheating.

Cool pics but the front wheels on the larger kart look troublesome. Were those bought as a tire and wheel assembly {i.e. together}?
Harbor Freight sells a tire and wheel combo like that but it is not meant for any powered vehicle--it's meant for carts, not karts. ;)
Those are light duty only and will self destruct in short order. The bearings are junk too, not anything like precision sealed bearings.

A final word on the pedals on both karts; they are mounted backwards. Now they can be mounted like you have them, for a fella of short stature to reach the pedals better but mounted so that they arch forward, they provide a built-in foot rest for the outer edge of the foot to lean against. Mounted correctly, they provide a more comfortable operating angle, for sure. This configuration also helps keep the feet away from the spinning [danger, danger} wheels. Here's an illustration of a proper throttle pedal:

Last edited:
If those are good then I would pull the blower housing and look at the coil pack. Cracks, rust, dirt, clean everything up then lastly adjust the coil. I have used a business card with success but there is a spec. for that. You might let the fuel out of the float bowl into a cup and check for water just in case there might be some hiding in there, while you are at it.
I have dumped the tank, pulled the little filter in the tank. My new one didn't seem to fit right so I made sure I could blow through it easily. I'm comfortable that all fuel delivery is ok.
I'll start on the coil when I get a chance.

First thought is fuel delivery. It sounds like it's fuel starvation or leaning out the mixture. Air/vacuum leaks? Best to run on the rich side of lean. Could be a bad coil too, like desert rat says. ETA: If the fuel mixture is too lean, you could be running too hot and overheating.

Cool pics but the front wheels on the larger kart look troublesome. Were those bought as a tire and wheel assembly {i.e. together}?
Harbor Freight sells a tire and wheel combo like that but it is not meant for any powered vehicle--it's meant for carts, not karts. ;)
Those are light duty only and will self destruct in short order. The bearings are junk too, not anything like precision sealed bearings.

A final word on the pedals on both karts; they are mounted backwards. Now they can be mounted like you have them, for a fella of short stature to reach the pedals better but mounted so that they arch forward, they provide a built-in foot rest for the outer edge of the foot to lean against. Mounted correctly, they provide a more comfortable operating angle, for sure. This configuration also helps keep the feet away from the spinning [danger, danger} wheels. Here's an illustration of a proper throttle pedal:

Front tires on the big kart are just some I had laying around. I didn't buy them specifically for the kart. But you are right, they don't last long before they crap out and I put more on. But they hold air and were easy. I'll look for some heavier duty wheels around the shop.

Thanks for the pedal info. I'll look at swapping them around for the safety sake of the pedal helping keep feet in.

Harquebus

...you are right, they don't last long before they crap out and I put more on. But they hold air and were easy. I'll look for some heavier duty wheels around the shop.
I'd look for some specific go kart rims, either one piece or two piece (split rim--requires an inner tube) that also take press-in sealed bearings.
For example, 5" Front Demountable Wheel Assembly Part #: 8-372: https://www.mfgsupply.com/8-372.html

...plus real tires to fit, probably a 4.10 x 3.50 x 5" tire for the above rim. Those cart tires are typically one layer/one ply of "rubber", more like a weird greasy vinyl. The beauty of the split rim is it's exceedingly easy to change tires and tubes as you simply split the rim apart.

I'd look for some specific go kart rims, either one piece or two piece (split rim--requires an inner tube) that also take press-in sealed bearings.
For example, 5" Front Demountable Wheel Assembly Part #: 8-372: https://www.mfgsupply.com/8-372.html

...plus real tires to fit, probably a 4.10 x 3.50 x 5" tire for the above rim. Those cart tires are typically one layer/one ply of "rubber", more like a weird greasy vinyl. The beauty of the split rim is it's exceedingly easy to change tires and tubes as you simply split the rim apart.
I had to do all 4 on the yellow kart. I ordered 4 new tubes, but got lucky and reused 3 of the old tubes. Even the solid rim got a tube in it. The rear tires came off the $50 snowblower. I put some of the hand cart tires on the front. The aluminum ones are split rims but the LF is a heavy duty one piece wheel. I also had to pull the bearings out of the bad aluminum wheel and install them on the one piece rim because the spindles are an oddball metric size. I also ordered 4 new bearings.
I'm not ordering Kart tires for these guys to use them for only 10 days, then sit until next year or 2

You may have to buy a bigger Jet for the carb. Also, how old was the gas? I found one of these as well and this is the third forum I’ve joined trying to find tires for my Tyrod. Here are the before and after pictures and the measurements of my front spindles/axels:
ABA172FA-B6B5-4651-B412-4A934EC6D251.jpeg 9861DC87-EE03-4667-B6EA-48091A0DCAF4.jpeg 883D9E6C-7BC4-468F-A47B-2F60AF152C23.jpeg 81AAFFDB-7C1E-44AE-AD57-372D6E69500E.jpeg DB05EA21-4101-4860-8F70-A1E2A94AB602.jpeg

I74

You may have to buy a bigger Jet for the carb. Also, how old was the gas? I found one of these as well and this is the third forum I’ve joined trying to find tires for my Tyrod. Here are the before and after pictures and the measurements of my front spindles/axels:
View attachment 283709 View attachment 283710 View attachment 283711 View attachment 283712 View attachment 283713
looks great!

I wouldn't of painted the pad contact areas of the rotor though.
Would scuff that part of it off with using a wire wheel ect. in a drill,, while turning the hub.
That paint will get your pad surfaces all caked up if you don't. ;)

I

View attachment 283709 View attachment 283710 View attachment 283711 View attachment 283712 View attachment 283713
Tires or wheels?
I had a bad wheel and like I said I ordered new bearings to fit a rim I had from a hand truck.
I believe this is a link to ones I ordered from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07GVQKHNG?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Oh, and it was fresh gas. Always use non ethanol in all small engines.

Tires or wheels?
I had a bad wheel and like I said I ordered new bearings to fit a rim I had from a hand truck.
I believe this is a link to ones I ordered from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07GVQKHNG?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Oh, and it was fresh gas. Always use non ethanol in all small engines.
I need both. I see the bearings you got. Also the back is the 58mm bolt pattern. What wheels and tires did you get? I can’t find anything. I can barely find anything since the spindles are so short in length. Any help would be awesome.