Yellowhand Lathe

Well Guys, I bought the late Yellowhands Lathe..

Im honestly a beginner:confused: Im slowing teaching myself and remembering some stuff Mark taught me on this very lathe from a few trips I made over to his house for him to help me.

I doubt I will ever be able to make the cool stuff he did but Im already getting some projects closer with now owning it.

I will post any stuff I feel looks good as I make it.

Thx 70sVintage

It would be nice for you guys on here to post a pic of something he "trued" or fixed for you on his lathe. (Also Describe what he did)

Last edited:
That little lathe served him well and I'm sure he kept it maintained.

He'd be happy to know it will still be churnin' out parts for mini-bikes.......

wow nice thing to have to remember yellow hand by ...
given your learning and may need all the help you can get grab a drink and go here mrpete222's Channel - YouTube
watch his vid he does alot of teaching on how to do machine work . been watching his stuff for along time lots of info :thumbsup:

MB165

That looks like a 9X20 Jet (harbor freight). There are some online clubs representing it. You can do some decent work with these lates.

oldfatguy

I think that he would be glad to see his equipment go to an OldMiniBikes member. I have a garage full of tools and equipment and a son with no interest or ability to use any of it. I hate to think that it will all end up as scrap one day.

....Looks similar to my Enco.

I always thought his was larger.
That goes to show his talent.
talking with yellow hand about lathes it seemed like he had a few of them . like he had big ones for work and at home there was the smaller one in the shop to play on . didnt he post up some pics of the shop where there is the bigger lathes from work ?

Mac

talking with yellow hand about lathes it seemed like he had a few of them . like he had big ones for work and at home there was the smaller one in the shop to play on . didnt he post up some pics of the shop where there is the bigger lathes from work ?
He did post:
"We have an engine lathe from 1910 and a turret lathe from the 40's, both still in service at my family's manufacturing facility... "

A changing world

I think that he would be glad to see his equipment go to an OldMiniBikes member. I have a garage full of tools and equipment and a son with no interest or ability to use any of it. I hate to think that it will all end up as scrap one day.
Sad but so true I have 3 very good grandson's but they all are into video games and hand held I pad's. With a shop full of welders ,Plasma cutter, Pro quality tubing bender Blast cabinet and buffers and grinders they see no need to learn these type skills. If they make the big money they will just have work done by others.
Steve:scooter:

Well it is a mixed bag. S sad that Mark is gone from us, and great that the Lathe is going to a good man who will give it a go and learn how to use it for the projects ahead.
Steve :scooter:

It is a Harbor freight one. 9x20 Central Machinery. I got it with a bunch of alum. scrap. I got many carbides to last me a long time...

I already trued some stuff with it. So its working already..:grind:

Sad but so true I have 3 very good grandson's but they all are into video games and hand held I pad's. With a shop full of welders ,Plasma cutter, Pro quality tubing bender Blast cabinet and buffers and grinders they see no need to learn these type skills. If they make the big money they will just have work done by others.
Steve:scooter:
Don't give up on em one day showing interest Mr. Durham, my boy was the same way and now at 16 is on the stage crew at school and is discovering the old man's tools now that he is exposed to set building etc. Never too late and the marriage of taday's technology and the old skills is magical, they could make the leap one day and surprise you buddy. Here's to hoping they do and loving em for who they are if they do not!:thumbsup:

Im not sure if he did the cranks on this lathe but im gonna try it here sometime soon. Im gonna have a experienced friend stand behind me when I do it.:thumbsup: