Yerf Dog any good?

I'm looking at a used Yerf Dog (3203 I think) Go Kart. It looks a little weathered, but seems to be all there. My plan would be to restore/build it. Guy is asking $700. Are these things any good? Are they big enough for an adult?

I have one of these in my basement. They are very common and yes an adult can fit. They go pretty fast in a straight line (for a 6.5HP Tecumseh) but the brakes, steering, and front suspension are very weak. It makes for a nice little yard kart but far from offroad. They make for good project vehicles and the transformations are awesome.

The main draw to these karts IMO is the main chassis. The seat is comfortable and durable, the frame is light but pretty strong, and the legroom is very good for a 6.5HP kart.

Right off the bat you'll want bigger shocks and tires in the front and a modification to gain more steering angle. Next is a disc brake.

Yeah, those front tires look pretty small. I imagine ground clearance is low up front. How difficult is it to get a better turning radius? I'll search (on here?) for modification ideas. BTW, this one has a stock looking Predator on it.

Last edited:

chrisr

The DullCarbide is spot on with his kart review. It looks like yours is like the one I had, were someone went off road and tried to jump with it and the kart is not meant for that much abuse. Overall a pretty good kart.

$700 seams a bit much for an old one. Looks like GoKartsUSA sold them for $1268, when they were selling them. Still, looks like a fun project.

Yeah, those front tires look pretty small. I imagine ground clearance is low up front. How difficult is it to get a better turning radius? I'll search (on here?) for modification ideas. BTW, this one has a stock looking Predator on it.
These karts did not have Predators stock. They had a 6.5HP Tecumseh Power Sport engine with a Comet 30 series/7" torque converter. Solid setup on the drive train except that the air cleaner on mine fell off and I blew up the engine. Luckily I have a Briggs 10HP and 40 series on hand.

Your Pred is going to be awesome as you can do all the mods to get some easy power. Not to mention you already have the best torque converter setup IMO (30 series/7" driven with the correct mounting plate to get the right size belt).

Unfortunately, another difference with this particular cart is that it has a centrifical clutch adapted, that's shot. I would for sure go with a TAV instead, with a 7" driven. I was advised to go with a 7" driven on my minibike, and I'm sold. Monster torque AND speed. Do you think it would be overkill to go with a 301 or 420 Predator, possibly with a 40 series TAV?

Clutch? Bummer! At that point I wouldn't buy it for $700 because you'd need to buy a whole new TAV, and a 7", and a belt, and sprockets. If it had the old 30 series you'd have everything you needed in the CVT department.

There's a ton more 3203's out there. I say either get one with the old CVT or a very cheap one without an engine. My $0.02

Thanks. I needed a shot of reality from a rational thinking person. Once I get a bug, it's hard to back off. I'll keep looking or offer him way less.

Harquebus

Thanks. I needed a shot of reality from a rational thinking person...I'll keep looking or offer him way less.
He coulda mentioned it sooner but maybe he figured since you’re in California, you gotta be rich. :laugh:

That thing, in my estimation, is no longer in go kart territory..it has morphed into a full-safety-cage “buggy” and has all kinds of extraneous frame tubing, seat belts and what-not. It even has a luggage rack for groceries!

:blink:

Last edited:
Ha! Not rich, just more money than brains (and I ain't too bright). But seriously, I like the idea of suspension and comfort. Getting too old to squeeze into a little midget kart, and my skinny butt can't take much of a beating. Truth is, I'll be lucky to find a place to ride it (in California) without getting in trouble. But then we're not in this hobby because it's practical or safe, or legal...

He coulda mentioned it sooner but maybe he figured since you’re in California, you gotta be rich. :laugh:

That thing, in my estimation, is no longer in go kart territory..it has morphed into a full-safety-cage “buggy” and has all kinds of extraneous frame tubing, seat belts and what-not. It even has a luggage rack for groceries!

:blink:
You're right, it's not a racing kart. But, it is one of the fastest off-road karts out there (or should I say "most practical"). Honestly, I love having the roll-cage, suspension, and yes, the luggage rack. You'd be amazed what these karts (not specifically this one) can do with low gearing and a hitch! Best utility vehicle a tight budget can buy!

Just revisited it on craigslist, and he increased the price by $50?!
Now I'm looking at this:

It's going for $500, Doesn't run, "been sitting for years". He actually has 2, same price. He said it's a Yerf Dog, but I think it's a Manco...

Harquebus

[MENTION][/MENTION]Beasty: I think that is indeed a Manco, a Fox Carbide (Quantum) 150.

No qualms about Yerf Dogs; seen many brought back to life. I’ve been told they are among the best of last USA-made karts... and there’s one or more builds on that other site (Derp It Yourself).

I don’t know, I guess I’m a purist? :eek:ut: Compared to an open kart, it just seems like I need double the horsepower to move all that cage (and extra seat & maybe a passenger) around.

Last edited:
Ever notice the Avatar? That sir is a Fox Carbide 7150. Very solid kart. I wouldn't want to attempt to fit a GX200 in it because the swingarm lets the engine hang under it instead of sitting on top of it. It comes with a GY6 150 engine, about 10HP, CVT, with reverse. They have just the perfect traction (with the stock tires) somehow that they do awesome drifts. Very easy to show off yet tough as hell to flip.

It's not a Yerf Dog. It's made by Fox for other companies to sell (I got mine from American Sportworks). If it was a Manco it'd be almost all silver and it'd have an external reverse gearbox, not to mention it wouldn't have a fox on the front...

From what I know, it's not a quantum. My Fox history is a little off but I think the Zircon was the first Fox GY6 150 kart, then the Carbide 7150, now the Quantum 7151. There is also a single seater 6150 somewhere...

That 7150 looks a little beat up from being outside. I pampered mine with the basement garage all it's life. Maybe with some new seats, front tires (they look horrible), LED headlights (the halogens draw too much from the little 10A charging system), and engine work it'd be okay. Good price if you can find out exactly what's wrong with the motor.

Last edited:
Ever notice the Avatar? That sir is a Fox Carbide 7150. Very solid kart. I wouldn't want to attempt to fit a GX200 in it because the swingarm lets the engine hang under it instead of sitting on top of it. It comes with a GY6 150 engine, about 10HP, CVT, with reverse. They have just the perfect traction (with the stock tires) somehow that they do awesome drifts. Very easy to show off yet tough as hell to flip.

It's not a Yerf Dog. It's made by Fox for other companies to sell (I got mine from American Sportworks). If it was a Manco it'd be almost all silver and it'd have an external reverse gearbox, not to mention it wouldn't have a fox on the front...

From what I know, it's not a quantum. My Fox history is a little off but I think the Zircon was the first Fox GY6 150 kart, then the Carbide 7150, now the Quantum 7151. There is also a single seater 6150 somewhere...

That 7150 looks a little beat up from being outside. I pampered mine with the basement garage all it's life. Maybe with some new seats, front tires (they look horrible), LED headlights (the halogens draw too much from the little 10A charging system), and engine work it'd be okay. Good price if you can find out exactly what's wrong with the motor.
Is the GY6 150 easily modified, or is it not necessary? It does look like a bigger/heavier cart. They guy got back to me and said he had this AND a Yerf Dog (no pic, so no idea what model). I have a feeling this guy wont be much good for providing an accurate history. Looks like he has a yard full of old s#!t.