Yesterday’s Lil Indian catch

Well, not really a catch. Those of you who follow my Pullstarter’s FB page saw the video most likely. An old friend of 30+ years calls me up and says “I have this old Minibike from when I was a kid. Are you interested?”
Duh! Took a drive to see him yesterday morning. He’s owned a local VW parts business since the 80’s called East Coast Imports. After retiring two years ago and moving to Florida, he comes back every few months to continue cleaning out the warehouse. He had hung this bike up in the rafters many years ago after it spent about 20 years in the back of his barn.
I think it’s a Sabre? Briggs powered 2 speed. It’s been ridden and ridden hard! Surprisingly the frame and forks are tight. Original caliper works. At some point he flipped the two speed around because the one way bearing was slipping on the jackshaft....[emoji23] It’s the original Briggs. He said it quit on him about 45 years ago and that’s when it went into the barn. Note, he rode it without the blower housing... The starter set up would scare mothers today...[emoji47] The kill switch is probably my favorite part. It’s a piece of spark plug wire running from the top of the plug to a lug on the handle bar. He had a piece of flat steel wrapped in electrical tape the taped to the bar. You squeeze the steel down to the lug and that grounded the spark.[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] My Dad looks at it and says “ I’d have a little more tape on it...”[emoji23] Here’s a few pics. This thing means the world to me. The stories and life it’s had and now it’s mine. Hoping I can freshen it up for my wife for Windber 2019....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nice score. Looks to be a 68/69 year crossover. Rear swing arm is 68 (brake mount bracket) and bars/4 spoke rims 69. Hard to see in the picture but the bars look to be on a plate bolted to the top of the triple tree. Later in 69 they were 1 pc. and the rear wing arm brake mount changed. At least from what literature I have.
Regards,
Joe51

Look at all of the original parts! Nice job getting that. Also, pretty cool to know a guy unloading VW parts, but that is a different subject.

Got a chuckle, "riding without a blower housing." Can there be a bigger foot hazard on a mini bike? Thanks for posting this.

Thanks all for the help. Nate, he told me he went through a few tires and pairs of sneakers lmao. Dave, when I asked him why he took the blower housing off it was simply”the recoil didn’t work anymore.” I wonder how many pairs of jeans got caught up in those fins?[emoji848]
He insists he has the original dual sprocket engine clutch and blower housing. I’m afraid the clutch cover is long gone but crossing my fingers. Let’s just say I paid about an average movie date and popcorn with my wife...[emoji2]
There’s a bonus though. When I was leaving he asked me if I was still into HO slot cars. Another obvious duh....[emoji51] He hands me an old organizer with some killer old t jets, afx and brass tycos. I asked him what I owed him and he said he was gonna throw them or so he was throwing them out to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice find Chad. I wonder what happened to the missing fly wheel teeth? Put her back together as a 6000.Nothing like the feel of the original two speed shifting.
Jay