Zap! trike restore

thank you for the add to the forum, i have been looking for a place like this. i recently purchased a basket case 70's trike called a ZAP! simple solid axle . friction clutch setup. there were so many mfg's of these trikes back then, but info is very hard to find now. anyone heard of them? i am halfway through restoring, just got body back
from paint. i love these things!
t. zap3.jpg
zap4.jpg

CaptNugget

Agreed, goin to look great!
I also have a basket case Zap
I think yours is the only other Zap I’ve seen, don’t see them too often, and if you find any info or ads and such I love to see it
9CC130BD-4333-4F9D-919F-F12A6AB5C3F1.jpeg

Agreed, goin to look great!
I also have a basket case Zap
I think yours is the only other Zap I’ve seen, don’t see them too often, and if you find any info or ads and such I love to see it
View attachment 264374
Another one! Glad to hear from you. Is that all you have to your machine? I love seeing the original decal, I plan on reproducing that somehow. I only found one This 3B6E05A3-B134-46D5-BA55-E6619793AE5F.jpeg other pic of a project on the internet

CaptNugget

Yeah unfortunately that’s all I have of it haha. Still couldn’t pass it up, didn’t have that model hahaha. I can get good pics and measurements of the decal when I get back from work this weekend if that’d help you.
And yeah other than yours the yellow one is only other I’ve seen.

I just found this forum, it is the only place I've ever found a picture of a Zap. My dad and grandpa bought one new in the early 70's sometime. We enjoyed it for many years until, according to dad, something went wrong with the rear axle bearings and has never been repaired. It has been sitting in our barn for probably 30-35 years. I would love to get it back in working order but I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Does anyone know if this actually a model of Alsport trike or something else? Any suggestions on finding parts? I've been looking at http://rt21trading.com/ but I'm not sure which parts may work and which wouldn't. As far as I know it's a complete unit, it even has a front ski that can be put on in place of the wheel. Everything has just been sitting so long it's wasted away, rusty, ETC. Needs a lot of TLC.

I just found this forum, it is the only place I've ever found a picture of a Zap. My dad and grandpa bought one new in the early 70's sometime. We enjoyed it for many years until, according to dad, something went wrong with the rear axle bearings and has never been repaired. It has been sitting in our barn for probably 30-35 years. I would love to get it back in working order but I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Does anyone know if this actually a model of Alsport trike or something else? Any suggestions on finding parts? I've been looking at http://rt21trading.com/ but I'm not sure which parts may work and which wouldn't. As far as I know it's a complete unit, it even has a front ski that can be put on in place of the wheel. Everything has just been sitting so long it's wasted away, rusty, ETC. Needs a lot of TLC.
Post up some pictures. Pics always help and, well, we like pictures! :) The rear axle is very likely the same Peerless 100 as some of the other trike makers used. Capt. Nugget could clarify that. It is also likely things like brakes and tires/wheels are very much universal items.

I need to drag it out and knock off decades of dust to get better pictures, but here are a few. Rear axle is removed currently in an attempt to get at the bearings.

20210514_142227.jpg

As mentioned, it's been sitting for decades. Lots of rust and dust and rodent droppings. In major need of TLC.

20210515_183732.jpg

The ski.

20210515_183740.jpg

Has some flavor of Tecumseh motor. Dad recalls it being around 8hp.

20210515_183751.jpg

20210515_183805.jpg

20210515_183811.jpg

Joovey. you really need to start your own thread, if you are going to post like this, (I should have been more clear). Maybe one of the mods can move your posts to their own thread.

And Yes, that axle looks to be a Peerless.

I need to drag it out and knock off decades of dust to get better pictures, but here are a few. Rear axle is removed currently in an attempt to get at the bearings.

View attachment 278561

As mentioned, it's been sitting for decades. Lots of rust and dust and rodent droppings. In major need of TLC.

View attachment 278562

The ski.

View attachment 278563

Has some flavor of Tecumseh motor. Dad recalls it being around 8hp.

View attachment 278564

View attachment 278565

View attachment 278566
Yours has a differential, very nice!