Kawasaki cdi ignition

Thepaetsguy

I’m not sure how to ask this question... The first picture was found on the forum...

Does an AC cdi/pickup coil need the stator to fire the pickup coil?? Or is it like a briggs 5hp where the magnet spins under the pickup and that’s all that’s needed for spark?

If the pickup coil can fire without the stator can I just make my own bracket that puts the Kawasaki pickup coil over the briggs flywheel magnet instead of the Kawasaki flywheel magnet? I have a whole Kawasaki cdi ignition in house ready to go..

I won’t be home to test anything till late.
061E1413-97EF-49DC-B5D5-166913BFBFAB.jpeg F8709ED8-B7D2-4604-935D-1B8E8F12F7EC.png 4A811086-589A-4881-984A-E3FB5A0D2651.png

Thepaetsguy

The Kawasaki CDI has spark and works with no battery connected. Pull the pullcord with no battery the CDI puts out spark. So to test I just unplug the TWO AC wires coming out of the case to the regulator?? Then see if it still has spark??

IF it does still have spark converting a briggs to a Kawasaki CDI should be like 4 wires total maybe 5??

Thepaetsguy

I just have this feeling the AC stator is needed to fire that pickup. IF all that’s needed is a magnet in a spinning flywheel this will be easy.

Thepaetsguy

I’ve completely deleted AC power from the wiring harness and we still have spark! I’m still confused as it appears to be more then just a pickup coil at first glance... I have a red and black wire and a red wire going into the case that I’m not sure what it’s purpose Is at the moment.

Thepaetsguy

If things are truly as they appear that red and red/black are accessories and that would be fine but I ripped those off the quad awhile back so they are just not needed?

I will disconnect the red and red/black and re-check spark. IF spark is present that means without a doubt it’s just a fancy Briggs coil cdi Frankenstein setup. That is just flywheel magnet spark... and absolutely all that would be needed is the conversion bracket. 70FBB88E-D53D-4974-99E8-B4C3E6175404.jpeg

Thepaetsguy

There is only two ways this moves forward.. I have spark with a TOTAL of four wires. Now the blue and the black wire go to the pickup coil.

The red and red/black wire either are directly needed. Or they are not needed at all..

I will delete the red and red/black wires and re-check spark. Again if we have spark that can only mean that putting the pickup over an arc flywheel magnet will still produce spark.

Thepaetsguy

I feared the red and red/black was another flywheel sensor of some sort for spark advance but that kind of sounds crazy to me?

The pickup coil then another coil to run the spark advance then the stator to run the charging system and provide ac pulse? I think this is just an 80’s two wire cdi ignition and nothing more.

50/50 chance it can be adapted to any engine.. Heck as long as you can grind and drill an adapter and line it up so the Kawasaki pickup meets the flywheel magnet close to the exact time the stock pickup meets the magnet it should be good?

Thepaetsguy

This is the point were the mod needs to delete the whole thread. So the red and red/black come off the stator and are needed for spark so this cdi setup is a no go on a 5hp

Thepaetsguy

Well everyone I had to spend the day and make this work. I was successful.. Then I found a YouTube video explaining how to do it.. That would of saved me a lot of time... From the TWO wire pickup..

White to ground
white/red stripe to Cdi trgger post.

Two cdi ground wires to ground

Cdi ignition coil post to green post located on coil.

CDI ignition power post to 12v + battery post.. preferably switched.

You will need to fabricate a bracket and align your new trigger to the flywheel and old coil you ripped off.

Don’t tap 12v to an ac cdi many comments about people doing that and it makes a nice bang.

E0477598-CA48-4869-B796-CCF124FA0668.jpeg 98B19F32-63E5-4EA7-AD25-E0A8AEDE7946.jpeg FBA3096F-44F1-40CB-A6E8-09A82E362E36.jpeg A1B57540-D91C-4A7D-87BC-A9671F76C9F6.jpeg

Thepaetsguy

Updated pictures on how I intend to wire a briggs 5hp cdi... Now a good bit of info!! Research shows sometimes pickup triggers can be wired backwards and will put out a bit less spark? So somthing I will test when my dc cdi ignition is in house.

BDF35346-9152-452A-80EB-D0B73794C023.jpeg AD37759C-C64C-4521-A944-C72CF905A6B1.jpeg 359810C5-DE14-489E-8166-5CBED1C9DFAC.png

Thepaetsguy

I'm feeling more or less lost, but I think I'm following you..
I have a portable CDI ignition for ANY fourwheeler that uses an AC cdi..

Once the 15$ portable DC CDI is in house I’ll make my bracket bolt the pulse trigger up and try to start the little Briggs 3hp.. If it starts Instead of a 5 wire portable AC cdi I’ll just have a portable DC ignition for ANYTHING with a flywheel magnet.

I can wire the DC CDI in my living room and fire the whole ignition system by passing a screwdriver under the pickup.
CA47B32D-8A42-41D0-91FF-CF98869A314D.jpeg

Thepaetsguy

Well it’s already been done so it’s not like it won’t work. For $300 you can buy the whole kit with programmable timed spark curves.

Thepaetsguy

Seems pretty over-the-top creative, tho. So this would negate the need for a stator/lighting coil?
Yupp just delete the stator out of the picture and then add this total loss 12v ignition system with a battery for anything with a flywheel magnet.

You can fire the ignition wired up on the ground by simply running a magnetic screwdriver under the pickup. The magnetic screwdriver acts like the flywheel magnet passing by the pickup triggering a spark.

Thepaetsguy

it’s all ordered and should be here by the 9th at the latest. I havn’t ordered a pickup trigger yet. I’m looking for the best one I think would work on my custom bracket that bolts the trigger over the flywheel. Once I purchase a trigger I’ll update. ED8172B4-CE60-431C-A9BD-6E6BD08BEC30.jpeg

Thepaetsguy

Caltric has them for $15

I picked this specific pickup because it appears it would bolt to a simple holemade coil bracket..

Once bolted to the bracket the pickup magnet also looks to be set in a place that would make it easy to align and gap over a briggs flywheel.

A371F396-EFB9-41CF-BF66-BA78793CA485.jpeg

Thepaetsguy

I stole these pictures THANKS Bob!

the dot in the middle of the new pickup trigger lines up to the edge of the end of the flywheel magnet on the briggs 5hp flywheel..

So as the connection between the flywheel magnet and the dot in the middle of the new pickup is broken spark is sent.

Just as when the magnet breaks connection with the original coil spark is sent.

We have come full circle!! Look at post # 1 picture #1 you see how that new pickup is so far forward?? It all makes sense!
3161379C-5E36-4D53-A34A-8FAEC9DC30A9.jpeg F2918F7F-2E65-4352-956B-4008D83DFEA2.jpeg 5848E131-42FB-40AE-8E93-21B44465B219.jpeg