Straight chain Coleman ct200 ex

Thinking of straight chaining my Coleman, it seems loud and unnecessary and is rubbing slightly on the frame, anyone have any tips or opinions on this is appreciated, thanks

DaddyJohn

Ya I've seen good things about converters also I was hoping this would be a cheaper way to go
The straight chain does seem like a cheaper and more mechanically efficient way to go, but it lowers your gear ratio such that it’ll accelerate much more slowly (likely with lots of clutch slip to make it nice an hot), then once you get going, you’ll have a bit higher top speed. Personally, I think this reduces the ride-ability, and would prefer the stock jackshaft setup. THAT SAID, as others suggested, a torque converter mod is definitely the way to go. You get good acceleration AND the top speed to boot. You may need a 5/8” to 3/4” shaft adapter, 1” engine spacers, and possibly have to trim the bottom of the TC plate. Not too difficult, and with TC’s going for about $50, it’s not that expensive.

Triley41395

Thinking of straight chaining my Coleman, it seems loud and unnecessary and is rubbing slightly on the frame, anyone have any tips or opinions on this is appreciated, thanks
I have a few questions before I give my opinion. 1 do you ride on pavement or off road with hills or flat? 2 how much do you weigh?

You likely would need a much larger rear sprocket, I'm guessing 70-80 tooth count... The Mega Moto Mega Max 212 (no jackshaft, no torque converter) had a 72 tooth sprocket, IIRC. Just mentioning that for reference, it has a 3-bolt pattern and would not bolt-on your EX. A large sprocket would probably cost more than a torque converter.

Screenshot 2024-05-04 193110.png

Azusa Parts may have sprockets that would fit, you'd need to measure your bolt circle, bolt hole diameter and hub diameter. You could have a sprocket custom made, there are plenty of companies that do that, but it would be expensive.

https://azusaparts.com/product-cate...le-sprockets-aluminum-for-41420-chain/page/4/

I mostly ride in the road and I'm 175 lbs, with the expensive rear sprocket needing changed i might look into that 50 dollar TC, i have two bikes and 1 has the 3/4 shaft so i think ill do it to that one

Triley41395

I mostly ride in the road and I'm 175 lbs, with the expensive rear sprocket needing changed i might look into that 50 dollar TC, i have two bikes and 1 has the 3/4 shaft so i think ill do it to that one
Just straight chain it with a good clutch and you'll be happy.