TriRod Brakes (Upgrading)

Yes, there are calipers made expressly for this arrangement, like the one shown. And again, under frame mounting might be the best option. Have you considered a complete new axle? I know you can get Peerless setups. The Holton will prove a little more difficult.
Considered, yes (have been looking into them for another project) but am trying to keep costs low and use what I have. The biggest problem with my setup is more the issue of space. Sure, the frame can be cut and rewelded but, then, is it really the same TriRod? (Philosophical argument) I'll take off the front forks and clean up a couple places then take a photo to show what the space constraints are. I'd prefer not to mount the brake on the bottom but will not rule it out if that's my only option.

Well, setback. The good folks at GoPowerSports were kind enough to send me photos and sizes of the small calipers used on the Chinese quads, go-karts, etc. They would work and fit if I was going to keep the suspension at an off-road level (the A-arms at a slightly negative angle). If I'm hoping to use this on road with street tires, I will not be able to use standard car tires with a flat contact patch (the A-arms at a zero angle / perpendicular). The reason for this once the A-arms are at 0° there is very little clearance between the A-arm and the shock (~1") and, indeed, it appears a PO must have driven the A-arm into a shock at some point since one is bent.

So, my options now are to 1) find a 5" drum brake, similar to ones used on ATV's, and a way to mount them and/or 2) find a 4x4" wheel which will allow me to mount a motorcycle/scooter tire (with a rounded profile) so that I can adjust the suspension to allow clearance for a caliper. Ideas?

Epiphany. I may look at mounting the calipers and rotors outboard of the A-arms, like in a traditional vehicle. The only reason I was against this in the beginning was that I was hoping to retain the 8" rims for off-road use (if I wanted to swap a pair from one of my 6x6). Seems like there would be a ton of options if I were to go this route, however. It would mean spacing the axle a bit wider....

Epiphany. I may look at mounting the calipers and rotors outboard of the A-arms, like in a traditional vehicle. The only reason I was against this in the beginning was that I was hoping to retain the 8" rims for off-road use (if I wanted to swap a pair from one of my 6x6). Seems like there would be a ton of options if I were to go this route, however. It would mean spacing the axle a bit wider....
You may have to space the axles out a little, then again, maybe not. The lug nut pattern, on the Tri Rod, is not uncommon. Assuming I understand what you have in mind, if you went with a larger, automotive type wheel and whatever tire you wished, you could ensure more than enough room, for the brake, inside the wheel offset. A 14 inch wheel would be 6 inches taller, (over all), and should provide more than enough room for your caliper.

I just got done converting my Mudbug to dual disk brakes with cheap mini-bike calipers and it was a total success. I plan on replicating the entire setup on my Tri-Rod with better calipers. I think the 6" rotors will absolutely fit.

Last edited:
I just got done converting my Mudbug to dual disk brakes with cheap mini-bike calipers and it was a total success. I plan on replicating the entire setup on my Tri-Rod with better calipers. I think the 6" rotors will absolutely fit.

I have a scat tracker that I am restoring and I want disc brakes like what you've done with your mudbug. can you give me what parts and work involved in converting over to disc brakes. pictures too if you have them. I see the caliper and master cylinder assemblies on ebay but not sure how to mount a rotor to the 1" axle. thanks in advance for any help you can give me. jack

I have a scat tracker that I am restoring and I want disc brakes like what you've done with your mudbug. can you give me what parts and work involved in converting over to disc brakes. pictures too if you have them. I see the caliper and master cylinder assemblies on ebay but not sure how to mount a rotor to the 1" axle. thanks in advance for any help you can give me. jack
I didn't use hydraulics, just the cheap minibike calipers from Amazon (link below), 2 6" brake rotors that I got from BMI Karts (link below), and a handful of grade 8 hardware. I just ran a brake cable from each caliper to handlebar brake levers. The left hand brake work the left wheel and the right brake stops the right wheel. It works great and stops on a dime.

https://www.amazon.com/Caliper-Pocket-Stroke-Chinese-Scooter/dp/B07MXSB8BG
https://www.bmikarts.com/Brake-Rotor-with-1-Hub-_p_612.html