CAT 350ss Clone- 1970 Restoration

A Chain tensioner is hard to find so I'm using a skateboard wheel for now. Mounting brackets are bolt on making them easy to remove and/or adjust.

Here's another picture of the chain tensioner. I used a piece of threaded rod, steel tubing for spacers, and rubber coated 1" Diameter electrical clamps to fasten the tensioner to the frame.

the piece of metal that holds that is shaped funny its not just a square i have the 350ss and i am missing the brake set up on it :sadcrying4: im gonna try to find a original
If you need a photo of an original bracket I can take a picture of one at my buddy's shop, he has an ss frame with chrome forks that has the bracket on it! PM me if you need the pic

If you need a photo of an original bracket I can take a picture of one at my buddy's shop, he has an ss frame with chrome forks that has the bracket on it! PM me if you need the pic
Thanks supernova, I was able to fabricate the bracket and mount the brake caliper. Here's a picture of the bracket and caliper. I'll need to trim down to size the angle bracket that's holding the brake cable.

CAT 350ss Clone - Disk Brake Set Up

kbs8ball did it again. I mailed a template of the bolt pattern for the 350ss CAT to Kenny....

Seat Template

And in the mail comes a remarkable reproduction seat!!!

CAT 350ss Seat

The bolts lined up as they should. Thanks Kenny for making this great CAT seat:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'd make the cable bracket the same as the caliper bracket! If that bracket pivots it will bind and fail if I'm looking at it right! You've come too far to have something avoidable fail and ruin all your nice work!

Last edited:
I'd make the cable bracket the same as the caliper bracket! If that bracket pivots it will bind and fail if I'm looking at it right! You've come too far to have something avoidable fail and ruin all your nice work!
Makes sense supernova, I'll make sure to anchor the angle bracket. Does your brake set your actually stop the bike? You have me thinking now that perhaps it's the movement on the bracket that may be releasing some of the pressure on the puck.... I guess this will be confirmed as soon as I anchor the bracket.

I'm fabricating a clutch brake bracket as a backup, there should be plenty of space to hide it under the clutch cover.

Thanks for the info on anchoring the bracket!!

CAT 350ss Disk Brake

this is how cat did theres.. isnt ur little angle piece on the same bracket as the caliper? thats how the one in the pictures... maybe im talking about something else?

ohhh did you mean make the angle piece its own hole to bolt to and not tighten it to the same bolt holding the caliper?

Last edited:
this is how cat did theres.. isnt ur little angle piece on the same bracket as the caliper? thats how the one in the pictures... maybe im talking about something else?

Thanks osoverns. And yes, looks like the same set up as yours. Whereas, the angle bracket pivots on the top caliper mounting bolt. I believe that Supernova was suggesting that this is a bad design being that the angle bracket could pivot to a point that it will actually lock up the brake...

I'm not a fan of this disk brake set up. Having a rotor that also is used for a sprocket with a lubricated chain inches away from the puck makes no sense. But it sure looks cool.

Makes sense supernova, I'll make sure to anchor the angle bracket. Does your brake set your actually stop the bike? You have me thinking now that perhaps it's the movement on the bracket that may be releasing some of the pressure on the puck.... I guess this will be confirmed as soon as I anchor the bracket.

I'm fabricating a clutch brake bracket as a backup, there should be plenty of space to hide it under the clutch cover.

Thanks for the info on anchoring the bracket!!

CAT 350ss Disk Brake

I am always glad to help, disc setups are tricky to get right but once you find the balance between good alignment and a good grab on the disc you cannot beat them for stopping power! That cat is coming along great, everything looks great and the attention to detail is key to a successful build! You are on the right track, cant wait to see it finished! I really like the wheels and the way you set up the inner spacers between the bearings, a jackshaft between the bearings extends bearing life greatly!

delray

i think you will find that a skateboard wheel will work great for you chain and lot less noise then sprocket roller........buzzzzzzzzzzz.........

Thanks osoverns. And yes, looks like the same set up as yours. Whereas, the angle bracket pivots on the top caliper mounting bolt. I believe that Supernova was suggesting that this is a bad design being that the angle bracket could pivot to a point that it will actually lock up the brake...

I'm not a fan of this disk brake set up. Having a rotor that also is used for a sprocket with a lubricated chain inches away from the puck makes no sense. But it sure looks cool.
on mine the angle piece has its own hole to mount to the bracket and the caliper has its own holes but i did see a cat 250 that had only two holes and the guy hooked it up just like how yours is and it looked and worked better then mine

I am always glad to help, disc setups are tricky to get right but once you find the balance between good alignment and a good grab on the disc you cannot beat them for stopping power! That cat is coming along great, everything looks great and the attention to detail is key to a successful build! You are on the right track, cant wait to see it finished! I really like the wheels and the way you set up the inner spacers between the bearings, a jackshaft between the bearings extends bearing life greatly!
You're right about the disc set up being tricky. In this case it was like doing a wheel alignment with no rod ends being that I converted from a drum brake set up to disk. The positioning of the caliper bracket was key. As to the bearing spacer, it's definitely the way to go.

Thanks again!

i think you will find that a skateboard wheel will work great for you chain and lot less noise then sprocket roller........buzzzzzzzzzzz.........
Agreed, skate board wheels do work better! However, it's also nice to have the OEM parts. For this CAT project I'm still on the search a chrome switch plate, front/rear fenders and the noisy chain tensioner.

on mine the angle piece has its own hole to mount to the bracket and the caliper has its own holes but i did see a cat 250 that had only two holes and the guy hooked it up just like how yours is and it looked and worked better then mine
Yes, I tool a closer look at the picture of your set up and I see what you mean about the angle bracket having it's own mount. As to the 250's, I believe that they came with scrub brakes, I've never seen one with a disk set-up:shrug:

yep my bad we talked about cats the cats the whole time 200's, 250s, 350s, 400's, his must of been the 350ss or 3501, not sure what the difference is yet i have a picture i took and will up load i think i took a picture of the brake too, he is also on the forums ill check with him wouldn't want to post a picture of his bike if he doesn't want it on here.

Not neccisarily a bad design, but the way it looks it is possible for the bracket to roll around and at the least shorten the pull causing the brake to have less stopping power! Having the thing anchored at 2 points eliminates the possibility! I do agree a sprocket\disc setup is less than perfect design as my Arco EZrider has the same type brake and will be changed! It wont be a perfect original but an improved version! The Cat looks great keep up the good work Runninlate!