ID my Tech..please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie1972

Thanks to SINNER70 pointing me in the right direction i spoke with SEAR's parts and service in NC and the women was not able to tell me the Hp of the engine but was able to tell me its a 1967 Tecumseh and gave me Tecumsehs phone number.....(Who is no longer in business:shrug::laugh:) But a recording told me all my local tecumseh authorized service centers around my area. So i called and im waiting for a phone call back tomorrow with what will hopefully be the answer to my question.
So thanks for everbodys help and involvement on this topic:thumbsup:

Model: 143-581002
Serial: 858 12567
Hey! I have an engine with that exact same model number! (It is a neat NOS engine that has NEVER been started or run yet-haven't figured out what I am going to do with it yet, almost too nice to run...lol).

:oops:. . ..never mind. . . error pointed out, not QUITE the same number, very close but close doesn't do it........ (thanks for the heads up, creia!)

Last edited:
Hey! I have an engine with that exact same model number! (It is a neat NOS engine that has NEVER been started or run yet-haven't figured out what I am going to do with it yet, almost too nice to run...lol).

Yes, it is just a 2.5HP engine but it is a heavy duty variant with the cast iron cylinder liner, at least. :thumbsup:

NOT THE SAME NUMBER! (LOOK CLOSELY):doah:
Michael

Jamie,
Why not end all of this speculation (an suspense!), pull the head, and measure the bore?
Also, how about posting some photos of your engine?
Michael

Jamie1972

Well. I'm 99% sure it's a 3.0hp engine. I got in contact with a local lawn mower garage that is a Tecumseh service station. The mechanic said the 143-581002 looked familiar.
And that's because it was never a "Minibike" engine he said.:-( it's either a sprayer or tiller engine. And he pulled up the parts explosion on line for that number. Took the piston diaghram number look up the piston specs. And it's a piston for a 3.0hp "definitely" not a 3.5hp engine...............:hammer::glare:

How about some pictures? REALLY hard for us to help at all without this very basic step. :shrug:

I'm curious if it looks like the one I have with the really close number.........

MB165

Yes, only if the cover with the numbers hasnt been replaced..... Just to make 100% sure, I still recommend you pull the head and take a rough measurment of the bore diameter.

Yes, only if the cover with the numbers hasnt been replaced..... Just to make 100% sure, I still recommend you pull the head and take a rough measurment of the bore diameter.
AGAIN, the ONLY way to know for sure. Why aren't you providing us with any photos?:shrug:
Michael

How about a close up shot of the numbers tag? Did you take the head off and measure and have you checked to see if it is the heavy duty cast iron liner or not? (magnet on the cylinder walls). It's really easy. . .just watch the torque on reassembly. :thumbsup:

Just curious as my time capsule, never been run engine has the following serial and a cast iron liner (as do many (most?) of the Craftsman Tecs, which is a big plus!

It looks like those replying (myself included) are more interested in what the HP of this engine is than the OldMiniBikes member that originally posted the question?:shrug:
Michael
Yeah, sure seems like it? Dunno what the hold up is in simply taking the head off-I could do it in just a few minutes and it would definitely tell you the size as well as if it was a desirable heavy-duty engine with the cast iron liner! Would sure beat just guesses.... :shrug:

By the way, not to thread jack or anything, but is there any chance my engine is bigger than 2.5HP? (as in the previous poster saying something about a blocked off intake making a 3HP into a 2.5HP or something?)

Also, I know it is hard to pinpoint the year on the Tecumseh engines, but any guess to what era at least? I'm assuming 1970s from the type of Craftsman logo.......

Jamie1972

You guys need to just hang-on.....I'm in PM talks with the seller and if its proved not to be a 3.5hp then the engine will be returned and refunded.
If I get a refund...I'm not gonna remove the head. Gonna send it back untouched.
Once I know more ill post it.

You guys need to just hang-on.....I'm in PM talks with the seller and if its proved not to be a 3.5hp then the engine will be returned and refunded.
If I get a refund...I'm not gonna remove the head. Gonna send it back untouched.
Once I know more ill post it.
And just HOW will that be "proved" w/o removing the head?:shrug:
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.