Recent content by Jeff S.

1. J

HS40 magneto problems on 71 Roadster

Rupp Hs40 quirky spark issue finally fixed Thanks Ruppman (Bill) for the pointers. I cleaned & reworked the flywheel magnet area as well as the pic-ups for the magneto coils like you suggested. The flywheel has some serious gouges inside probably from coming loose & rubbing on the pickups...
  2. Tecumseh HS40 Magneto Roadster

Tecumseh HS40 Magneto Roadster

An updated photo with labels for wiring the magneto. If this is incorrect I will update it.
  3. J

HS40 magneto problems on 71 Roadster

Looking for advise on a troubleshooting my HS40 which I have just rebuilt. I have just finished installing new oil seals & connecting rod, valves & springs, Stens 520-902 carb & intake manifold, but have had a recurring problem with spark. Before the overhaul I had put in new points/condenser/...
  4. J

HS40 Carb for 71 Rupp Roadster

Yes the plastic slanted intake worked out & served it's purpose of getting my carb on the engine for debugging many many issues with the old HS40 on my Rupp. I considered printing a new version with improvements in plastic or as a pattern for an aluminum casting, but then I found them at Black...
  5. J

When I removed the valves they were in rough shape. The intake valve stem has a prominent worn spot with a step, which was probably hanging up on the guide bushing. Luckily the local engine dealer had the intake valve in stock & springs. The seats were pretty rough too. I lapped both valves...
  6. J

When I removed the valves they were in rough shape. The intake valve stem has a prominent worn spot with a step, which was probably hanging up on the guide bushing. Luckily the local engine dealer had the intake valve in stock & springs. The seats were pretty rough too. I lapped both valves...
  7. J

Before pulling the engine I tried one more thing (not sure if this is a recommended diagnostic :shrug: but with the head off one more time I coated the cylinder walls with thin layer of thick gear oil, to see if that would bump up the compression & make if start... I also put drops of oil down...
  8. J

Thanks guys for the input. Day 2 is no better with starting the old Rupp. A shot of gas down the spark plug hole & the tecumseh is still not firing up, so I'm believing you guys are right about the low compression... Looks like the engine is coming out of the frame & I will see if lapping the...
  9. J

Hello - New to this forum... purchased a Roadster 2 years ago just now getting it running... After replacing points, condenser, & then coil it has good spark (I set the ignition timing .035" BTDC). Compression I think is acceptable at 65 psi??? Engine came with no carb or intake manifold, so I...