Recent content by Jim Donovan

1. J

Need help identifying old dingo

Bullseye -- that kart looks so nice you almost hate to get out and drive it. Real show stopper.
  2. J

Need help identifying old dingo

How big are the rear tires 15" or 22"? Briggs quit selling engines to the kart manufacturers in 1999 so it was Tecumseh starting in 2000 to 2005 when all the kart manufacturers shut done production.
  3. J

Any ideas on this kart I just picked up.....?

Looking forward to seeing it all back together and rolling once again. Thanks for preserving some history. The handyman is a dying breed.
  4. J

BELT DRIVE ?

A timing belt because it is a belt refer to the teeth on the hub as a pulley. Do a search for HTD clutch in 5mm and 8 mm. A sprocket drive is +/- .007 while a belt drive system is +/- .0005 much tighter tolerances so not that many people with old equipment can hold the tolerances which will...
  5. J

BELT DRIVE ?

The Action Products (Tempe, AZ) karts used a 5mm belt drive system. We made the clutch for those karts. The 8mm drive is more typical and several other clutch company's used the 8mm pulleys. The 5mm pitch was ok on the 3.5hp engine but when you moved up to 5hp and larger you would want the...
  6. J

The Rod & Custom magazine for June, 1960 on page 68 had a full page ad also.
  7. J

The kart is a Rocket Kart made in southern CA, by Standum Industries. Information provided by Frank Weir of Ireland who writes articles on vintage karts in Vroom magazine that was published in Italy. They had full page ads in Let's Go Karting and Karting Handbook. Do you want a picture of the...
  8. J

1960 Percival Hellcat

The only other way to get the alignment you need is to either move the engine over that 1/2" or move your rear sprocket inward both of which are a pain in the a$$. The simplest is to hang the clutch past the end of the crank BUT you will need to drill the crank to do this properly. Or you...
  9. J

1960 Percival Hellcat

The clutch is a china made with a built-in-key. You have it lined up pretty good in the picture and the crankshaft has a centering hole in the end of it. Just drill in the crank about 1 1/4" deep and then tap it with a 1/4-20 tap. Better ask first then assume, is that a 3/4" crankshaft or a...
  10. J

Just clutches

Lizardking -- the clutch on your engine is a three shoe Horstman. The color of the shoes tell me it got damn hot and most likely annealed the three springs. Shoes still would be good just need some new springs. And the bushing would also need to be replaced.
  11. J

1960 Percival Hellcat

Which shaft? The 580 West Bend will be 9/16, most likely with a 1/8" woodruff key (half moon). Some of them do have a full length 1/8 keyway so let me know. Need to know if threads are RH or LH so we send you the correct nut. You got two choices for engagement 2,500 or 3,000. Depending on...
  12. J

1960 Percival Hellcat

I already saw the Max-Torque clutch in his box of parts. All he needs to do is talk nicely to it and it should work fine. They last forever if you just oil the bushing when you are done riding. No sense in spending money when you don't have to. The last time that engine was working gas was...
  13. J

Just clutches

Just what is the OD measurement including the flange lip on the drum of the Van Ausdall??? If it measure 4.187 I may be able to help someone that is looking for a clutch to fit his mini-bike with that clutch on it. He said there is very limited clearance under the cover guard.
  14. J

Just clutches

You have a fine collection of clutches. I should have done the same thing back in 1989 when I bought Max-Torque. My first project was to toss all the 2 cycle clutches because our market was the back yard fun kart mfg. All I can say was that was a big mistake. I started gathering clutches and...
  15. J

Band brake

I am not smart enough to figure out how to get a picture directly to this site without saving it some where and then I can not find it after I save it. But we have drums with an 1 3/8" center hole and hub that will fit the drum either on the inside of the drum or the outside. We bore the hub...