New (Crusty) Retek Cheetah Project

DaddyJohn

I've always wanted one of these (or a Super Bronc) and just lucked (?) into this locally. Man, is it crusty! I guess it sat under a porch for a long time...:(

Anyway, I'm hoping to put this together into something usable that mostly adheres somewhat to the original configuration. The reason I say that is an actual restoration might not make economic sense, and I'd like to be riding this sooner than later...

Luckily, I already have an H50 out of a Dynamark snow blower that runs well and should slot right into the chassis, so that's a bonus! I'd ideally like an H70, but proceeding with something I already have makes the most sense. In practical use, it's probably not going to be that big a deal anyway, and I'm always keeping an eye out for more old snowblowers, so maybe one will show up eventually.

At any rate, aside from the missing seat and lights, the main thing I'm missing is whatever driver goes on the engine for the pulley that says Comet on it. I suppose it should have a torque converter? If so, what model, and where can I get it? If it's not available, what might I be able to modify and use?

The rear brake is a hydraulic unit with what looks like air shock line hooked to it.
I'll need a master cylinder (handlebar mounted?), but wonder if rebuild parts are available for the caliper? What kind of caliper is it?

For that matter, does anyone notice anything that I might need that I'm not aware of? The tank has some pinholes it (big enough they may need brazed shut prior to lining it) about an inch up from the bottom, so it'll need repaired to use it. The cap is plastic, and I'm pretty sure won't keep gas in it anymore once it is repaired.

Also, this is a concern... I'm going to have to have the wheels blasted, as they're heavily rusted, but when I looked at the rear sprocket it looks like it's welded to the hub. Is it supposed to be that way? It's kind of in the way for getting inside the wheel to get the rust out. Luckily, it doesn't look too heavily worn, but it's weird that it wouldn't be removable.

Anyway, here's some pics. Please feel free to add any info, opinions, etc. that anyone might have.
The interwebs aren't full of info on the Cheetah, so I'd be grateful for anything I could learn.

Thanks!

Attachments

What a neat bike!
If it were mine, I would use my electrolysis tank and clean the parts from rust.( easy to make)
The brake should clean up and be usable if there is any brake fluid left in the brake cylinder. Wheel bearings may be shot. The drive looks very simular to the one on my Hilltopper. I'm getting rid of mine and going with new tech.
I have seen much worse come back to life.
How are the tires?

DaddyJohn

Indeed, the bearings will need replaced. The tires are rotten and don't hold air, so they will need replaced.
There isn't a master cylinder present, so I'll have to get a handlebar-mounted unit.

Luckily, those particular things shouldn't be hard to obtain. Would probably get a generic modern m/c off eBay or something.

DaddyJohn

I still need new bearings for the jackshaft, and they’re a bit unusual. These are the closest I’ve found:
https://www.amazon.com/SBPFL204-12-Flanged-Mounted-Bearing-Diameter/dp/B004YL2ZKY

I also need a new torque driver and suspect I need to rebuild the driven pulley? The driven is a Comet, wonder if a Chinese driver would work with it? Trying to keep costs reasonable….

Will also need a new minibike style throttle linkage for the H50 engine.