Another Chop Mod Ramrod - Beginnings

Minimichael

I put away the wire wheels, sanders, and chemical strippers years ago and just have them all sandblasted now. Same thing for engines that will be rebuilt/restored.
Michael
I've been meaning to look into a place to sand blast. Maybe on the next one ;)

Minimichael

I'll tell ya I did learn I should have just started with the stripping disc rather than wire wheel and brushes. I'm still getting familiar with my angle grinder, so the recipe now is a humid night outside covered in paint stripper, and then angle grinder with stripping disc followed by 120 flap disc will get this particular stage done about as efficiently as one could ask.

Attachments

Last edited:

Minimichael

View attachment 313634
You could look for a one quart tank.
I'm changing engine plans from that huge 5hp down to this 3.5hp., so long as my new short tank will accommodate the carb off the 3.5hp. I'm not building this bike for speed anyway. This smaller block relieves some of the space pressure, and maybe I could even fit a comet TC to make up for sacrificed hp torque. I understand it has an overdrive function I've yet to learn about.

This tiller motor must have fallen into a swamp I think. I bought it with thick mud caking up everything under the shroud. Still got some cleaning to do to the coil, fins and behind the flywheel, but it'll run, right? :p

Attachments

Minimichael

I'm changing engine plans from that huge 5hp down to this 3.5hp., so long as my new short tank will accommodate the carb off the 3.5hp. I'm not building this bike for speed anyway. This smaller block relieves some of the space pressure, and maybe I could even fit a comet TC to make up for sacrificed hp torque. I understand it has an overdrive function I've yet to learn about.

This tiller motor must have fallen into a swamp I think. I bought it with thick mud caking up everything under the shroud. Still got some cleaning to do to the coil, fins and behind the flywheel, but it'll run, right? :p
Well now I either bought the wrong 1qt tank or have the wrong carb. The holes are different. I think I see this engine calls for a diff carb when using the 1qt. Not looking for anyone to figure it out for me. I have the parts lists. I'm just checking in to update :(

Attachments

Last edited:

Minimichael

For anyone following, I want to build a stock-ish Briggs out of this 3.5hp I/C, and it has the Welsh plug version of what I think is a 5hp species of carb. But the new tank I bought is for the carb with a pull choke on the rear of the carb tube.

So here's my question to you seasoned flathead folks:

Would either of these carbs be better than the other?

I may have the right carb for this new tank laying around already. On the other hand, I could try and find a different 1qt tank if the Welsh plug carb is way better or whatever.

Attachments

Last edited:

Minimichael

I'm learning I have the tank that fits the "legal" carb #555129, which is the carb with the sheer mounting surface rather than the one with apparent air channels underneath. And the integrated choke plug is not legal, btw, only Welsh on that end.