Search results

1. Confused1985

Manual clutch?

Not sure if anyone has done this before, but it should work... I got on old style lawnmower a while back just for the engine. My plan was to sell or scrap the rest of the mower, but then I got thinking... It has a centrifugal clutch to drive the blades at the front constantly, but there is...
  2. Confused1985

Shaving eyebrows on an IC engine

Hi all, I'm working on an 8hp IC. I have smoothed out all of the edges in the combustion chamber, but I'm not sure how to go about grinding round the edge of the cylinder where the iron sleeve meets the block. Could it cause bad things to happen if I start grinding lumps out of the sleeve? My...
  3. Confused1985

Legal action against MBs in England

An advert from a news paper here in England... The only safe way is private property :(
  4. Confused1985

Welding and grinding cam lobes

Hi All I'm working on an 8hp BS atm, and there are no performance parts out there. I've seen various projects where people have either welded onto the top of the existing cam lobe, or ground down the base circle if the cam. Has anyone here tried this as a long term solution? My worry is that...
  5. Confused1985

5HP Briggs mod statistics

Forgive me if this is known/been posted before, but it covered a lot of the questions people ask about what gains the most power. I did not write this, I just found it when Googling. I posted in general engine mods as it applies to all engines, not just Briggs. Hope this helps some people...
  6. Confused1985

Swapping valve springs and retainers

I bought two 8hp Briggs recently, one was good, one junk for parts. I'm not sure which size engines this applies to, but on the 8hp, the exhaust and intake springs and retainers are different. The exhaust has a short stiff spring with a thick retainer The intake has a slightly softer long...
  7. Confused1985

New(ish) member from England

Hi all, been a member for a fair while but not really done anything. But now I am looking to join in a lot more. I am currently fixing up an 8hp briggs, and plan to build a custom frame (as there r no old minis in the UK) Are there any other England/UK members on here?
  8. Confused1985

Blocking a govenor hole

Hi all, I've been lurking in the shadows for a long while now but thought I would contribute finally! I am fixing up an 8hp briggs, and have removed the governor. I needed to block the hole and the only reference to this on here was someone saying to punch the brass sleeve out of the...
  9. Confused1985

Another Vertical to Horizontal Mod

Hey I'm new to the forum but been following it for a while. I picked up a 3.5HP vertical crank at a market for £3 UK (~$5). Was a little rough but ran. I am now in the process of converting it to horizontal axle. I'm a little way in now an have been covering it on youtube so take a look and...