Search results

1. R

Loose fuel pick-up tube pulsa-jet carb

So...good news and bad news! the good news: I have it together, and it starts in just a couple of pulls, and runs great. I decided to try the green loctite method to anchor the seat for now, since I was afraid I might shift the seat if I peened around it. Since doing the repair, however...
  2. R

Leakdown test proved the intake valve was leaking. I opened the valve spring access cover and it was exactly as you described: no clearance on the intake valve, while the exhaust had .006. I pulled the head off and removed the springs, and I could turn the intake valve by hand with no...
  3. R

So I did a quick compression test...with interesting results. The first time I did it the compression was only at 40 psi. The second time, I squirted oil into the cylinder to see if it would seal things up and....the compression was at first nothing and then maybe 10 pounds; not what I...
  4. R

That is part of the puzzle: When I removed the head, clearly someone had preceded me and cleaned off any carbon. Cylinder and valve area looked clean, and by appearance I don't think this engine has alot of hours. That being said, who knows if someone ran it out of oil or never changed the...
  5. R

I am beginning to suspect it is a valve or compression problem. I dropped the tank again and removed the carb, and re-sealed the tubes where they connect to the carb. They looked pretty good to me, and the cup in the tank was full of gas, but its just one more thing to cross off the list...
  6. R

I didn't think about the pick-up tube itself being broken, or leaking at the joint to the metal tube. I will look at the joint carefully to see if maybe there is a leak there where it bonds to the metal tube. The joint itself is exactly at the right spot...if there is an air leak there I bet...
  7. R

I gently squeezed the pick-up tube with a vice grip and it seemed to have enough friction to stay in place. Put everything together, and then fussed with it for about an hour before it would start and then....ran fine, for one hour, then acted like it was out of gas. Couldn't get it started...
  8. R

I am trying to ressurect a 1980's 4hp Briggs horizontal shaft engine that came off of a shredder/chipper. In its current set-up, the only speed control is an adjustment on the governor spring, and for choke it has a slide choke "piston" at the end of the carb. When I got the engine, I was...