Search results

1. M

need help to post photos

Go to photobucket.com Follow the instructions to create your account. Then upload the photos you want to post.(click on upload then select the file you have you pics in) You can choose options on size for forums so that your photos are not to large. Create your photo album. Right click on the...
  2. M

jackshaft gear ratio

60/12=5.0 final ratio. I always liked 6.50 on minibikes but it depends on your engine,tire diameter and stall speed of your clutch. The nice thing about jack shafts is that you can get a lower gear ratio with out running a huge rear sprocket that might drag on the ground.
  3. M

briggs and Stratton 5 hp coil

I like magnaton much better. There used to be a kit to convert the points coils to magnatron. I think it sold for about 15.00 bucks.
  4. M

gauges

I parted out a Yamaha moped when I built my chopper. I used the speedo along with the front wheel. It only goes to 35 and I can bury it easly. I did machine a custom cup for the speedo. I saw a tach in a jegs catalog for the briggs engine kind of pricey though
  5. M

My Choppers New Life So Far...

Thats going to be really cool. What do you plan on using for a tank? Is that a rear wheel from one of those stingray bikes?
  6. M

It's for the children...

Make that under steer
  7. M

It's for the children...

I did this to a Yamaha pw-50 for my grandkids. It worked really well. The only thing I noticed was a little bit of over steer but by leaning forward it could be compensated for. Nice little bike!
  8. M

Do I have a leaky intake valve or is this normal?

Unless it's really old I can't remember any flat heads Briggs that did not have easy spin. It's usually written right on the recoil starter housing. They used it right up till they quit making them. Dr. Heilman was correct as it also helps the Pulsa jet carbs fuel pump.
  9. M

Do I have a leaky intake valve or is this normal?

Briggs uses what is called "Easy spin" on many of thier engines. What it amounts to is there is about .01 of material on the Intake lobe of the camshaft. This helps releive compression when the engine is started. It holds the intake valve slightly open for a few degrees of crankshaft rotation...
  10. M

winter project....need ideas

I'm just the opposite. I like suspension, plenty of power. comfortable seating and good ergonomics. I like brakes front and rear. I spend alot of time on the foot pegs and where they are located. I like to use parts from junked out mini motorcycles. There are a lot of them lying around and they...
  11. M

Advance keys

By the way I still don't use a flywheel key and don't need to over torque the flywheel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. M

Advance keys

You are taking a big risk running a cast aluminum flywheel if you are turning any rpm above manufacturers suggested max. Cast iron will hold up to abuse but I would not trust a cast aluminum flywheel.
  13. M

My new project

Thats going to be a real nice bike. I put wrap on my chopper's header also. Something about it being in close proximity to my man stuff made me think it was for the best.
  14. M

Advance keys

I have ran 5 hp Briggs 8700 rpm on an oval track without any flywheel keys. None of the modified motors I have built have I used a key. I have been doing this for 20 years. Funny how all of sudden it won't work according to you folks. As you said the flywheel needs to seat in order to stay in...
  15. M

Advance keys

If you guys want to use advance keys be my quest. I won't waste any time on them. I check my timing by using a dial indicator on the piston. I never have any problem with the flywheel moving. I can promise you that the key don't hold anything. The taper is what holds the flywheel in place. Do...
  16. M

Advance keys

I don't even use a key in any of my engines. Simply use some valve lapping compound and lap the flywheel to the taper on the crank. Clean the compound off thourghly and put the crank where you want it. If using a starter clutch first find a nut that fits your crank and tighten Flywheel with an...
  17. M

HS40 Exhaust irritation!!!

Definetly run a brace from the top of the head to the end of the pipe. use like 1/2' by 1/8" steel strap. Put a hose clamp on the pipe end and drill a hole in the strap and attach to a head bolt. This is pretty standard on most racing karts as they turn alot of rpm and viberate considerably. It...
  18. M

5hp stand up scooter

Nice Job! I might suggest a chain guard that will keep your legs protected from a broken chain. A good freind of mine had to get 60 stitches in his arm from one of my go-karts that broke the chain. I was running high quality racing chain also.
  19. M

my project

The flywheel is the same one they run on the Animal 2 racing engine. It's amazing how smooth this engine runs and it starts on the first pull every time! It does have plenty of compression though. I get up to dead center first then give it a good yank.
  20. M

my project

I'm making some progress with this project. I fabricated a new upper triple clamp and bar clamps. Test fit the engine. I found Out the tank I was going to use probly won't work. I'll atempt to modify the tank bracket to clear the frame. I had to section the frame so that the chain will...