Search results

1. CaptainSlug

The Impaler

47mph
  2. CaptainSlug

The Impaler

The diode in my charging circuit has apparently gone bad and has been allowing the charging coil to suck my battery dry. Before that happened I took some short videos. https://vimeo.com/97540532 https://vimeo.com/97540722
  3. CaptainSlug

The Impaler

Very small update on Vlad. Went through two dead batteries I had ordered online. Both were shit when "new". Ended up finding out that I can get the same battery at Home Depot for a bit more money, but also much easier to return and less likely to be shit. Used the down time to snip...
  4. CaptainSlug

The Impaler

5. CaptainSlug

The Impaler

Finally done dicking around with the electrical enclosure. Had some issues getting it to fit yesterday, and decided it was way too shiny. Tomorrow I can start wiring.
  6. CaptainSlug

Predator engine on motorcycle frame?

Any idea on the make/model? Before I made mine I was inclined towards making a diesel bike. But later decided it was outside my budget. If you want to actually get a motorcycle frame to move under the influence of a 6.5hp motor it's going to need to be a frame that's on the lighter side...
  7. CaptainSlug

Predator engine on motorcycle frame?

Easily? Not really. And the rolling frame you are working with needs to already have brakes that are in good condition, not have any bearings that need to be replaced, and it would help if it's a comparatively lightweight frame. With a lot of work I shoehorned a GX200 clone into a dirt bike...
  8. CaptainSlug

The Impaler

Mostly finished with the new electrical enclosure. Made out of stainless plate, treadplate for the box sides, and t-slotted aluminum for the corners. I just need to drill some holes for wire pass-through and once my relays show up I can get the wiring finished.
  9. CaptainSlug

The Impaler

Air box cover made out of more treadplate scraps. Formed on the pan-and-brake, cut to fit, then drilled. 1-1/4 tubing cut on the band saw using the miter guide. More parts to weld together. The heavy welds on the lower motor mount distorted it a bit so I had to clamp it down and mill the...
  10. CaptainSlug

The Impaler

Since the new motor mount is slightly wider, the old cover won't fit. So I'll have to make a new one. Traced the carburetor gasket onto a post-it note, then used an engraver to transfer that onto aluminum. Used a manual knee mill to rough out the inside and channels, then finished the...
  11. CaptainSlug

The Impaler

Made a good deal of progress today. Did a complete teardown of the bike. Here's the two cracked welds in the old motor mount. I made changes to the CAD files I still have of the original motormount, printed templates out on the plotter, then taped, scribed, and center punched. I cut them...
  12. CaptainSlug

The Impaler

Two of the welds on the lower motor mount are cracked pretty badly. I'm going to be dropping the engine out of the frame sometime in the next week so I can start the process of making a new one from scratch. The original mount included a lot of room for adjustment because I made it early in the...
  13. CaptainSlug

The Impaler

Really well. It's comparable to a lower displacement dirt bike in any way I can think of. Part of the reason I wanted to start this project is due to the complete lack of lower displacement dirt bikes on the used market in my area. I wanted a dirt bike geometry, without the lower reliability you...
  14. CaptainSlug

The Yamaha KT100 "Kwik-Tray"

This is a product that could be made more cost effective by selecting a different material to make it with. Did you consider higher temperature plastics or maybe even silicone? Not matter the material used there's always going to be a tooling cost and financial risks.
  15. CaptainSlug

The Impaler

I wanted a go-kart, but I also had a dirt bike rolling frame sitting around from an earlier project. So why not both? Photos are in chronological order. The beginning of the build saw a lot of part improvisation, including a pool vacuum hose intake line...