Search results

1. J

Bolting forks to frame; just a nut and bolt?

Thanks, yeah just found a few videos that I will take a look at.
  2. J

Any tutorials on checking this? I haven't ever done this before so I appreciate it! EDIT: Found this video, not sure if its any good:
  3. J

Thanks! Where do you usually get bushings made? Never actually thought about that. I actually ended up purchasing this from eBay: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&toolid=10001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=283612938512 Only reason is because shipping from onlinemetals...
  4. J

Awesome, thank you for the great information! This is my first venture into buying different metals, so the explanation is appreciated. I will look for the size of DOM tubing you mentioned and then go from there. Thanks!
  5. J

Thanks, I’ll check them out! Since the O.D. of the bushing that will be seating in the head tube is 3/4”, should I purchase some .75 I.D. tubing, or something slightly smaller such as .745? I guess the bushing shouldn’t be spinning in the tube, so just want to purchase once and make sure I get...
  6. J

I looked at one steel supplier near me so far, and all the big box stores. Haven’t had a chance to go to the other steel suppliers since I work during the day, and by the time I get off work they are closed. Might be able to give a few of them a call, although many seem to only cater to...
  7. J

So just got a chance to take another look at the minibike after completing a few other automotive to-dos. I have a bushing from Lowes that is flanged, and the actual body of the bushing has a 3/4 inch O.D. with a 5/8 inch I.D. The bolt slides in it perfectly, however its been a challenge to find...
  8. J

Great, thanks guys! I just picked up some scrap tubing from a metal supplier for $2 that I will try out. I only had a tape measure to find the I.D. of the tube, but I figure for $2 why not take it home and see what kind of bushings I can find for it.
  9. J

Thanks! That sounds like a bit of a pain when it comes to wear, seems like that can become dangerous over time. That is probably a good idea. Would I need to just find some tubing with a .75 I.D. so that those bushings can fit right into the tube? I'm guessing something like this...
  10. J

Thanks! I'm not a welder by any means, so something structural like that I would likely get welded from a shop somewhere. If that is honestly the best option, then maybe that is the way I will go. Looks like this is the tubing for the job then...
  11. J

It wouldnt go through the head tube. The bolt will go through about this much and then just stops, even tried hammering but no luck: So the bolt measures 5/8, and the head tube I can get it to vary between .625 and .608, with just the slightest change in measuring point.
  12. J

So for whatever reason even though the I.D. measure out to 5/8, the 5/8 bolt won’t go through. Going to head back to tractor supply and try to find something slightly smaller.
  13. J

The top I think definitely could. The bottom though, I'm not so sure since its just flat on both sides where the bolt goes through. No real spot for a bearing to sit.
  14. J

Awesome thanks for all the help everyone! I’ll make a trip to tractor supply and see what I can find there. I will update everyone on how it goes.
  15. J

Learn something new everyday…I’ve been using my calipers wrong for 2 years now and nobody corrected me, so thank you! You were spot on as well, its 5/8 of an inch I.D. How do you suggest I go about mounting these forks up?
  16. J

Great, thank you! Hopefully I took the correct photos down below, I took the measurements in mm: I.D. of head tube: O.D. of bolt hole: I.D. of bolt hole:
  17. J

Thanks! I will check the welds and the distortion, I actually didn’t notice when I bought it so might be the pics; will take a look. Sorry for my ignorance, but, when you say I.D. of the head tube and triple clamps, which part of the forks are you referring to?
  18. J

Thanks! It seems like only the top one has a cup where one may fit; the bottom looks to have a groove inside of the bolt hole, but otherwise flat top and bottom.
  19. J

Thank you, here are some pictures. Sorry, was a little busy last night but just got some: Neck of the frame Bottom of the fork where the bolt goes through Bottom of fork, middle portion Top of fork where bolt goes through Fork and handlebar assembly
  20. J

Hey guys. I know this is probably really simple, but is bolting the forks to the frame of the mini bike really just as simple as finding a bolt that fits in the neck and then tightening it down with a nut? Does there need to be a bearing or anything to help the forks and handlebars rotate, or is...