12v headlight on 3 hp Briggs?

I think that setup would work on an engine with electric start. Just mount the generator in place of the starter, and run it off the engine. That way you'd have lights at idle....:thumbsup:

delray

07D675,the only problem i see with running generator from factory is the bushing would burn up. thats why i use a high speed bearing to take the load,so all it has to do is spin and all my bikes that i plan on running it won't probable go over 25mpg(more like 15-20mpg)but i do have to say, i have run across some old bicycle generators and they still work:thumbsup:tuff little units..........

Offy22

I used a bicycle generator on mine many years ago for running lights. A buddy needed transportation to his job as a bellhop downtown and didn't have transportation so I lent him my Lil Indian:scooter:. The first one we got from Western Auto burnt up within 100 feet :confused:so we brought it back and got another. The headlight shinned especially bright but burnt up too in a few seconds:hammer:. We figured that the small wheel of the generator combined with the small 4" wheel of the mini bike was simply way too many rpm's:doah:. He taped on a flashlight and we mounted a battery powered taillight. It worked OK for him until he finally got caught by the law:thumbdown:. By then he had enough saved to get an old car. Maybe the bike generators are a lot better these days.

delray

Offy22,i can remember burning up bulbs all the time on my bicycle. they just couldn't take the high voltage when going down big hills(speed) and also bump's. i have notes when testing the generator at full speed it puts out 8volts and the bulbs are set for 6volts:doah: i have been now using led lights and they seam to work good:thumbsup:

i am going to try this new 5 led cluster with 4 leds pointing out to the side into the headlight reflector:thumbsup: