1970 fox street scamp project

this is my fox street scamp project that i ran across for free from a local

i'm having my buddy powder coat the frame for me, but during disassembly i ran across a few problems: i want to take the handle bars out of the front fork to maybe preserve the chrome but i don't know if they are sized from age or i'm just missing something - i took these bolts out, are they the one that hold them in?

i would also like to take the front tubes apart if possible but not sure how

and does the rear sprocket have a some kind of seal on it - i took the 4 bolts out but it still wont budge???

thanks in advance for the help

JH....I may be able to help you with removing the lower tubes. On the inside of the lower tube I see a flange where the fenders mount. Is there a hole drilled into the tube either above this flange or below it? Let me know if there is and I'll give you further instructions....Ogy.

ya theres a small hole below the fender mount (if i remember correctly) but it's only on one side - the other side doesn't have a hole - also since the fender was removed both sides spin freely (if that helps)

thanks,
jeff

JH....Take the lower tube and rotate it 180 degrees so that the fender bracket and the little hole are now on the outside of the fork....just opposite of where they would normally be. Take an ice pick or a sharp awl and poke around in the little hole. There should be a spot where when you push: the awl goes in about 1/2 of an inch. That is a brass retainer pin and it has a spring behind it to make it go in and out. When you find that spot, push in to depress that pin and while holding it in...pull down slowly on the lower tube until there's no more pressure on the pin and spring. Remove the awl and slowly slide the lower tube off and watch out for the pin and spring. Experience shows that they have a tendency to fly across the shop and put a nice ding in that newly completed paint job on your 1959 Corvette. Let me know how you make out or if you need any clarification....Ogy.

cool thanks ogy... i don't think i would have figured that one out on my own, i was also able to fight the handle bars out of the fork

now i just need the sprocket off the rear wheel then it's off to paint - any ideas

thanks again
jeff