Aggie 97 restore questions

I'm currently in the process of re-doing my high school "restoration" of my Aggie 97. One thing I couldn't do then that I want to do right is remove the booger'd-up fork stud bolt.

It was held on by two nuts (I thought!!) but removal of both and significant beating did not remove it. Is this a case of rust freezing it in place, or am I missing something?

I can get pics at a later date. There were no visible pins or stay bolts, I can say that for sure. The front struts were held on by pins and 40 years of nasty rust, so I'm betting it might just take some heat and patience.

Lizardking

Fork Neck bolt! I didn't see any pins on my Aggie 98 either but haven't tried to remove the front end yet. Parts list says bolt but my 98 also has the stud bolt held by 2 nuts.

Does look like it should slide off.
aggie_parts_bigger.jpg

Biffmini

You may have to press it out. I had a stubborn fork bolt, that I soked, heated, hammered.....
For weeks, finally had to press out.

sonerenos

if you do not have access to a press, ATF or KROIL oil work wonders for seized hardware. let it sit for an hour, go pound on it, put some more penetrating oil on it, let it sit, go pound it again... repeat until it comes free. this can take several days.

if you do not have access to a press, ATF or KROIL oil work wonders for seized hardware. let it sit for an hour, go pound on it, put some more penetrating oil on it, let it sit, go pound it again... repeat until it comes free. this can take several days.
This was what I was doing back when I first tried to rebuild it, guess high school me didn't have the patience to wait a few days. Whoops!

Fork Neck bolt! I didn't see any pins on my Aggie 98 either but haven't tried to remove the front end yet. Parts list says bolt but my 98 also has the stud bolt held by 2 nuts.

Does look like it should slide off.
View attachment 303047
Good to know the service papers describe it as a bolt and nut... I never want anyone to have to go through this again in the future and fully intended to replace it with a standard bolt and nut.

You may have to press it out. I had a stubborn fork bolt, that I soked, heated, hammered.....
For weeks, finally had to press out.
I have access to a press now for the first time, so I might go this route if all else fails. Thanks for the replies, everyone!! I'll report back if/when the thing finally escapes...

Lizardking

This was what I was doing back when I first tried to rebuild it, guess high school me didn't have the patience to wait a few days. Whoops!

Good to know the service papers describe it as a bolt and nut... I never want anyone to have to go through this again in the future and fully intended to replace it with a standard bolt and nut.

I have access to a press now for the first time, so I might go this route if all else fails. Thanks for the replies, everyone!! I'll report back if/when the thing finally escapes...
I wouldn't replace it if you can save it. Just use a lubricant like an anti-seize of your choice. The future owner will be glad you kept it as original as possible.

Penetrating oil and press will get it out. Good luck!

I'm currently in the process of re-doing my high school "restoration" of my Aggie 97. One thing I couldn't do then that I want to do right is remove the booger'd-up fork stud bolt.

It was held on by two nuts (I thought!!) but removal of both and significant beating did not remove it. Is this a case of rust freezing it in place, or am I missing something?

I can get pics at a later date. There were no visible pins or stay bolts, I can say that for sure. The front struts were held on by pins and 40 years of nasty rust, so I'm betting it might just take some heat and patience. This engagement reflects the passion and expertise within the community, as members pool their knowledge to restore Aggie 97 to its former glory. Such forums are vital for enthusiasts, fostering a sense of unity and knowledge exchange. For those seeking professional writing assistance, https://essays.edubirdie.com/report-writing-services leads to report writing services. Just as the Aggie 97 community collaborates on restoration questions, Edubirdie supports individuals in crafting comprehensive and effective reports tailored to their academic needs.
I hope everything worked out for you