Any amateur photo/videographers?

65ShelbyClone

Sometimes I feel like an outcast as a proponent of film photography, but I recognize "analog" film as one of the few archive-quality mediums still around and (believe it or not) inexpensive gateways to professional photography. Is anyone else in the same boat of the same mind?

I recently got into Photography, and I thought about Film (and im still considering) But instead I bought a Nikon DSLR, it takes really nice pictures, and the prints turn out very well. I recently gained acess to Michigan Techs darkroom, so film photography may not be too far away.

The reason I picked up a DSLR is I can take 4,000 pictures, (1500 on the best quality) and I can play around with photoshop, Ive got alot of interesting things, and Im in one of the best places on the planet, I just cant justify taking 50000 pictures on film and having them stack a few miles deep, Lol

Now just to buy a nice telephoto lens.....

I still shoot with a Canon and a Nikon 35mm SLR. But I have gone digital for movies (JVC digi camcorder). I have 2 digital cameras for quick shooting, one is almost antique from 1996.

I also have a collection of film cameras from 1910 to 1965.

Here is a link from my trip to Alaska all shot with a 100.00 digital

Flickr: cansystems1's Photostream

I still love film, but you cannot beat digital for ease of use and cost.

BTW Polaroid just stopped producing film, Fuji may pickup mfg. but no word yet....

picked up a nikon d40 and an 8gb sd card a few other things for 400 i love it i like that i can do hi def wide screen photo's then import them to photoshop and mess around with them

External hardrives, and dvds, Ive got a few pics that are pushing ten years old, They seem to be lasting... Lol

I love the D40s, theyre great, the D40X is what I have

65ShelbyClone

1.) I still shoot with a Canon and a Nikon 35mm SLR. But I have gone digital for movies (JVC digi camcorder). I have 2 digital cameras for quick shooting, one is almost antique from 1996.

2.) I still love film, but you cannot beat digital for ease of use and cost.

3.) BTW Polaroid just stopped producing film, Fuji may pickup mfg. but no word yet....
1.) Yeah, I shoot video with a small Canon on miniDV and edit with Adobe Premiere Pro, I guess for the same reasons digital photography is popular. I wouldn't mind having a Super 8 for kicks, although i would then have to get a projector too.

For 35mm, I use mostly a Chinon CE-3 Memotron and recently got a Minolta SRT201 too. I'm not a big fan of the Chinon because of the screw mounted lenses, but it was given to me and it works well. I also have an ancient Canon Snappy 20 point 'n' shoot I use when backpacking to save weight.

2.) I know; that's what is killing film. I can't find rolls of film in any of the drug or variety stores here anymore. Just a year or two ago I could get color 100/200/400, sometimes 800, and even B&W C-41 process at Target, K-Mart, Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc. Now they all have just a tiny section of only disposable cameras. Even the local photo supply is poorly stocked; they keep most of their film in cold storage because it just doesn't move fast enough. The exception is regular B&W because the community college still has a darkroom and traditional photo classes.

3.) I was at a yard sale over the weekend and saw a Polaroid camera and I almost bought it, but then I realized that I hadn't seen retail film for a long time. Now I know why.

65ShelbyClone

Anyone have any photos they really like? I have many, but here are a few:

Kodak Max 400/Chinon/Vivitar 28mm/f5.6. Exposure somewhere in the 1-3 minute range IIRC:

I was thrilled that this one came out. It is the only frame I shot in that building, no bracketing or anything. Same film/settings as above:

Awesome time exposures, I would dig out my old night shots, but they are on negatives and I can't find the prints anymore, did you use UV light in those?

BTW there is still room for film out there, I am an IT guy in Seattle, recently a client/friend brought me an 110 lb machine for repair that actually converts high-res JPG's to 35 mm slides. Imagine that! Kind of going retro but there is a market for digital to analog conversion....don't have it working yet, but close.only runs under Windows 3.1 and it's been years since I did any 3.1 hardware coding....

65ShelbyClone

I need me one of those digital-to-analog negative machines, but Windows 3.1? That takes me back. I still have a copy, actually.....on a handful of floppies. :wink:

Whatever wavelength the purple LED is, it's pretty close to UV because it does cause neon colors to fluoresce. The red was an LED flashlight. The green and yellow in the second photo must be from my film color shifting because the light source was either sodium or mercury vapor.