Azusa First Bike

Over a year ago, I started building a hot rod Azusa. I got as far as this, then abandoned it for other minis.

A while back, one of my friends hit me up for a minibike for his grandson. This will be his first engine powered ride. What better way to start than on a flathead, hardtail with a small seat? So I stripped it down and added scrub brake brackets. Used some 1/2" rod for the pedal arm, a small square piece of flat stock for the pedal and some flat stock for the scrub. Since I had to weld the brackets and such, I stripped the paint from the blue part and painted it a darker blue. I had some 4" wheels for another project, but found some better ones, so I used them on this one. I had a nice 2hp Briggs setting around So I'm going to use it. I'll have to move it to the left about 3/4 " to line up with the rear sprocket. I'll use flat bat about 1/2" thick with threaded holes to bolt the engine to and threaded holes to bolt to the engine plate from the underside.Still need to pull the pulley and add a clutch, clutch cover, chain and kill switch. Not my best work, but it should be fine for a 7 year old's first ride. I'll also clean the spot of clear coat from the rear tire:wink:

looks good i have one, had to make a lot of change,s . the sprockets and brakes they supply with the kits leave a lot to desire .the frames have no fender brackets,there ok but i wouldnt buy anouther :thumbsup:

This one won't have fenders. It will be bare bones, throttle and scrub brake.
A lot of small minis didn't come with fenders, or had fenders available as an option. I'd say the reason Azusa doesn't put the brackets on is because they sell different sized wheels, and that would mean different frames for different wheels.

Jim, I want to build this same bike for my GF. I got a 2 hp Identical to that. Think its capable for pulling a 125-130 pound person? We mainly ride on side walks, threw business parks and such. Very smooth rodes, and not very hilly. Im think it will be alright but what is your opinion?

You could probably both ride at once. They're strong enough. I weigh about 180. I had a 5.5 engine on this one for a while, and beat it around some. Didn't hurt a thing. I'd say the rear axle mount is the weakest point. This one is reinforced because I welded an extension on when I had the 10" wheels on it. Also there are no bushings in the steering head and you need to keep that greased. :thumbsup:

rear axel mount is more than weak ,that was the first thing i changed ,azusa drum brakes drag , always a problem , scrub brake , good solution .:smile::thumbsup:

It is an Atlas wheel and 60 tooth sprocket. I traded deez a set of Sears forks for it. With the sprocket so far from the wheel, I have to move the engine about 3/4".I was going to use these on a Ruttman washer frame, but I found a better set.