Briggs experts - trying to identify a 3 HP Briggs

race

The engine markings show -

Briggs & Stratton 3 HP
Model 80202
Type 0520-02
Code 78051001

And as you can see it has a white side cover with the rest of the engine in the traditional silver / grey. I assume someone swapped the original cover for a white one? Possibly the entire original engine as well as, if I understand it correctly, the code indicates a 05-10-1978 manufacture date? ... but the frame serial number shows 8T834 which indicates a 1968 Taco 44.

Tried some of the links for manuals but didn't get far. Would love to get whatever paperwork I can find on it.

BTW - I spotted this less-than-flattering article on the demise of B & S -

https://urbanmilwaukee.com/2020/09/28/why-briggs-stratton-went-bankrupt/#:~:text=The buying spree lacked strategic,enrich its executives and stockholders.

Ouch!

bandicam 2023-06-27 23-43-16-309.jpg

markus

you can identify the engine by how its setup in most cases, that shroud is obviously changed so the numbers on it will not necessarily reflect the setup of the engine. For that engine the 802** would be correct usually though. they used an 02 and a 12 from what I have seen normally. I bought a few NOS shrouds a couple years back.....No numbers on them Trumps the wrong numbers in my opinion, Plus then it can cover a multitude of years that way without having a post 1969 date code staring you in the face. But if your really crafty you can modify the numbers you have as well.....not that I have even done that ;) There is a way to really break down the numbers right down to paint color on Briggs though (the "type" section has that information, so someone really well versed could look a that shroud if you painted it silver to match and say Hey that engine is supposed to be white). Honestly I don't build too many of the briggs though and I have not gone down that rabbit hole too deeply but that is something I would like to be able to breakdown more so than the standard stuff found in the Manuals etc. someday.

race

Thanks markus. Do you know if Briggs put any numbers elsewhere on the engine (externally) other than the shroud? On the carb / air filter or maybe the crankcase that would indicate manufacture date and correct model?

It just occurred to me that the 3 HP on the shroud might not even be correct. The motor could be a 2 1/2 HP or even 4 HP model ?

Last edited:
unfortunately, in that era the only numbers were on the fan shroud. That large tank, with the same paint as the engine, means a pulsa-jet carburetor and those were a 3hp and up carb. the only way to know for sure would be to pull the head off and measure the bore and stroke.

markus

Thanks markus. Do you know if Briggs put any numbers elsewhere on the engine (externally) other than the shroud? On the carb / air filter or maybe the crankcase that would indicate manufacture date and correct model?

It just occurred to me that the 3 HP on the shroud might not even be correct. The motor could be a 2 1/2 HP or even 4 HP model ?
doubt it. Look on the head on the front left for a cast in 8 unless they did some altering it would not be smaller than a 3 and anything larger uses a different block design.

race

Thanks guys. Next step is to get it running and see how she goes. I'll probably have a lot more questions at that point.

race

Went by a large garden power tools place to see if they could help on identifying the motor but he was no help. While there I picked up some Honda 10-30 oil he said they like. As far as oil capacity, he said just fill it up until it is right to the top of the Fill hole but not yet overflowing.

Also, I pulled the plug. It is using a Denso W14LM-U plug and looked a little on the dark side but need to get it running and then check it.

Any of that sound right to you Briggs guys? I assume just normal pump Premium should work for gas.

Attachments