cand get comet torque converter off 1inch shaft!!!!!

Ok i bought a manco go kart that had a bad engine so i found another one and parted the old one...the old one was the same model number as the new one...8hp briggs model no. 190432...so any way i cant get the torque converter off its like rusted on or something ive had it sit with pb blaster for weeks...ive been changing it but nothing is happening!!!! ive tried a pulley puller and a cro-bar and nothing........! its a comet torque converter 40 series drive clutch 1 inch shaft... it looks like this..... Mini Chopper Go Kart Torque converter 40 series 25 HP - (eBay item 190067004831 end time Dec-23-07 19:51:47 PST)

Last edited:

jeep4me

Try transmission fluid or heat it with a torch. If the engine is no good anyway you could wedge a block of wood between the clutch and the engine, making sure that there's some pressure,not alot, between the two. Then hit the very end of the shaft with a hammer and a big bolt or piece of metal and try to drive the shaft thru the clutch, don't hit the clutch. There has to be some pressure between the two for this to work. If you leave it in your garage I can take a look at it when I come over in the morning. Good luck.

If it has a set screw and keyed shaft, you can sometimes drill a 1/8" hole through the key, then heat and transmission fluid like Jeep said. The key sometimes gets stuck, or warped, and if you can get it to break loose, the clutch should come off.

jeep4me

I looked at your setup today and I think that there maybe an interior set screw under the clutch cover. The cover has a large hex head welded to it, so I'm thinking if you remove that cover you may find a set screw or two under it.