Cat 300X questions

Hey all, I've got an early 70's Cat 300X that I am redoing. Not looking to do an original restoration, but it would be close with my own touches. Somewhere along the way, somebody cut the scrub brake off. I'm ok with it, but that is one question. The 1971 Briggs 3hp I have for it doesn't have the bosses on the sump cover to mount a clutch brake. Are there any braking systems that will work with the stock Cat wheels? The other thought is I have a few years newer Briggs 5hp that has the bosses on the sump cover. I could then use the clutch brake. Is 5hp too much for that bike?

Hey all, I've got an early 70's Cat 300X that I am redoing. Not looking to do an original restoration, but it would be close with my own touches. Somewhere along the way, somebody cut the scrub brake off. I'm ok with it, but that is one question. The 1971 Briggs 3hp I have for it doesn't have the bosses on the sump cover to mount a clutch brake. Are there any braking systems that will work with the stock Cat wheels? The other thought is I have a few years newer Briggs 5hp that has the bosses on the sump cover. I could then use the clutch brake. Is 5hp too much for that bike?
Well, you can switch your cover to one with the PTO bosses for a 3- 3 1/2hp. The later Cats had a drum brake on the rear wheel. If you can source one of those it may be your easiest solution.

Hmm, didn't think of swapping covers. All being said, I'd love to find a wheel with a drum brake. I like the thought of that the best.

You can also mount the band brake using an extended/modified sidecover bolt as your pivot point for the band. Somewhere on this site there is a thread showing how others have done it.
Michael