Clutches or TAV's??

RED

What is used on mini bikes the most ? Im stuck with using centrifugal clutches on my stuff ,due to the high cost of TAV's over here.
Seen loads of Advertisements at reasonable prices on US sites ,its not so much the shipping cost ,as the taxes I would have to pay at this end. Apparently if the parcel is marked with the "correct" contents value ,I get hit for the Tax! So its basic clutches for me for the time being ,until I can find a way round the tax thing !

OldMan

I have no way to know for sure, but from my limited experience, it seems the clutch is far and away the most popular among mini-bike fans, due to it's low cost.

KB2ROCKET

centrifugal clutches work fine as long as you are not running large diameter tires your typical minbike tires are not to big
also they will last a long time if they are aloud to fully enguage if you let them slip they get very hot
also watch your gear ratios for the same reason
have fun

The only way around the tax issue is to have it re-packaged. But I suspect you know that. Not having any information in your profile isn't going to help. Have you tried contacting friends and seeing if they might already have a re-pack source?

RED

Sorry should have said ! .........UK.
Yes ,you're right about wearing due to not being fully engaged . I suppose that a bike would be more likely to fully engage than a Kart,and also having the correct springs in the clutch helps.
Repackaging? How does that work?

Last edited:
If I had 5p for every item I had shipped through my APO adress for one of my Brit friends, I'd be worth more than the Queen...

The 15-25% VAT on 'imported' items sucks...

Get a Yank at one of the American air bases to order a TAV shipped to his on-base postal box...

With the current exchange rate, you'll make out like a bandit...get ten, and sell some to your friends to pay for yours...

The difference between a centrifugal clutch and a torque converter is night/day...

Last edited:
You don't need stateside friends. Locals that have stateside contacts can accomplish the same thing. Ask around. I would be very surprised to find you don't know anyone with stateside family or friends.

I wish I was being paid in Pounds or Euros instead of Dollars right now...the exchange rate is a killer...I think the Canadian Dollar is even worth more than the American Dollar now...