Converting From Balloon Tires To Modern Tires

I've seen a lot of posts concerning the modification from an old balloon tire to a present day tire. For future questions I thought I would make this post so it could be used as a reference for converting these tires.
OK here it goes...
First you need to remove the original balloon tire from it's axle (should be 3 bolts located inside the hub.)
Next you'll need to contact Richard Clark on his site route6x6.com
You'll need to buy a 3 bolt to 5 bolt adapter with a 5 bolt 4.5inch pattern.
See link
Welcome to Richard's Relics Parts for ATV's
Buy one for each wheel to be converted
The original balloon tires were about 21inches tall so that will be about the right size tire to buy. PLEASE MAKE THE MEASUREMENTS BEFORE BUYING YOUR TIRE. The simplest way to convert is to the purchase a 8inch rim.
You can buy these from Richard Clark (See link)
Welcome to Richard's Relics Parts for ATV's
or from golf-cart stores (goggle it.) I have found the best deal to be Golf Cart Wheels on Golf Cart Tires But I may be wrong
You will need to call them and ask for a 5 BOLT 4.5 INCH PATTERN WHEEL (THAT'S CENTERED) WITH TIRE COMBO ( of your choice, see page) on the page are the only tires they offer with the package, you can order them in any quantity.
Also if you want a different tread you can just order the rims from that same Cart store. A 22/11/8 tire will work for the conversion. When the adapter arrives it will need to be chucked in a lathe and have a hole drilled in the center big enough to slide (without being pressed) onto your axle. Then the 3 bolt pattern on the axle will match the adapter. Keep in mind this modification will slightly move the tire off center as the adapter's thickness will push the rim one way. Mount your rim/tire onto the adapter and tighten everything down. If You have any questions post it here, I know a couple of other members have done this conversion and are very knowledgeable on how to do this.

Hope this helps!
Happy Riding :scooter:

Last edited: