emulsion tube removal series 1 carburetors

markus

Messing around with some carb bodies, I pushed the tube down into the body so I could rebore a little larger. My current way to do that is I am taking a random punch tool that has some round to it that will fit in the carb bore to push the tube down by pivoting off the top of the bore. Its a little sketchy to do that since the brass can get damaged/nicked, Trying to think of a better way......any ideas???? I dunno if I can get a piece of threaded rod small enough from a Hobby shop but I was thinking of that (running it up through the tube and threading a washer and nut so I can pull it from the bottom........If the thin rod will hold the nut during the pull! Resetting them is easy enough since you can just use an old main jet to push it back up into place.

Messing around with some carb bodies, I pushed the tube down into the body so I could rebore a little larger. My current way to do that is I am taking a random punch tool that has some round to it that will fit in the carb bore to push the tube down by pivoting off the top of the bore. Its a little sketchy to do that since the brass can get damaged/nicked, Trying to think of a better way......any ideas???? I dunno if I can get a piece of threaded rod small enough from a Hobby shop but I was thinking of that (running it up through the tube and threading a washer and nut so I can pull it from the bottom........If the thin rod will hold the nut during the pull! Resetting them is easy enough since you can just use an old main jet to push it back up into place.
Have you researched internal expanding mandrels?
What is the average I.D. you would most often be working with?
Brass tubing that would slip fit into the emulsion tube would form the outer mandrel. A portion of the tube would have to be slit with a saw blade to allow expansion. An expanding plug, threaded machine screw and a flat washer would complete the tool.
Insert the mandrel, locate it, turn the machine screw to expand the mandrel, pull both pieces out.
Just a thought. Idk if mandrels are available in that small an OD. If you think it could work, I could do some searching.

markus

sat, its a all brass on these thick tubing, a 1/16" hole in it. I am getting them to move with the help of some heat applied to the center of the carb section, but still not easily. Some type of stubby reamer or flat faced bit may also be fine to use since the tube is behind the choke point of the bore. If I do this to say H25-some H35 I can upsize them to the HS40 (and some H35) bore, and can even take it up to the HS50 bore size possibly without even moving the tube (which is the safest bet) Of course there are some more holes drilled in the Idle circuit (from behind the welch plug on the side into the bore near the throttle plate) that I may need to add or open up depending on bore size possibly. I need to test one and see what happens.

sat, its a all brass on these thick tubing, a 1/16" hole in it. I am getting them to move with the help of some heat applied to the center of the carb section, but still not easily. Some type of stubby reamer or flat faced bit may also be fine to use since the tube is behind the choke point of the bore. If I do this to say H25-some H35 I can upsize them to the HS40 (and some H35) bore, and can even take it up to the HS50 bore size possibly without even moving the tube (which is the safest bet) Of course there are some more holes drilled in the Idle circuit (from behind the welch plug on the side into the bore near the throttle plate) that I may need to add or open up depending on bore size possibly. I need to test one and see what happens.
Ok, so maybe there is enough meat to drill and tap the tube about 4-5 threads. Thread in a stainless machine screw with thread lock. Long enough to fit into a pulling mechanism of some sort. Maybe like the old school automotive dent puller with the slide weight.