flywheel question

I'm finishing up my "SS" mini bike project and am putting together the HS40. It was a "freebie" and guy said it had no spark. I found out why, chipped off magnets on the flywheel. So I have a new one coming and am wondering if I need to do anything special with putting it back on. is there a wrong way? Is there a mark to line up? What is an easy way to tighten the thing down? Thanks for the help.

JUst the keyway to line up. And don't overtorque it too bad. It could cause it to try to split. I THINK it's 30-35 ftlbs. I usually tighten them pretty snug, then whack the wrench a couple of times, unless the torque wrench is laying within arms reach. Never failed YET. If in doubt, use a torque wrench.

Last edited:
Just make sure ya tighten it right, I had the flywheel on a Briggs come loose once, Lucky it stopped before flying off, Took a chunk outa my coil thou.

Use a screwdriver, strap wrench or a piece of wood in the fins to hold the wheel steady and prevent spinning while your tightening it

Stuff a clean rag (or rope) into combustion chamber via sparkplug hole to prevent engine from spinning over. No risk of breaking fins (or anything else) with this method.

Vaxian

Nothing to add

I have absolutely nothing to add to this thread, it's all been said.
I do however wish to thank Lawn-Boy Biker for the cool idea of a rope, never heard this method B-4

:thumbsup: Thanx