found and engine need some help

i found today a rototiller with a 5hp briggs it has everything there so i brought it back home and took the side cover off and found it has to drive shafts one is for forwards one is for reverse i just wanted to know if this is normal? becuse me or my dad have never seen one like it thanks -carter

i dont want it off i was just asking about it before i do anything becuse i think im gonna mod it to put it on my gocart to make it have reverse:thumbsup:

jeep4me

These are common. Briggs and Tecumseh both have models with dual shafts. I'm not sure if you can use the 2nd (reverse) shaft or not and you may have to cut it off, because your clutch may not fit properly with it on there. And you may have a hard time, if it's possible at all, fitting a clutch and a pulley on at the same time. But I have seen them used as a generator for lights, by mounting a bicycle lighting kit generator to one. It takes some rigging but it works. Good Luck.

Yeah,, you'd have to go to Belts if you want reverse. Just make sure you carefull and try to do a clean job.

This was my first "hack" at it and what it looks like on the inside. :thumbsup: