Is this Enough?

vjjjc

I posted a message on this board that I recently got my old-mini-bike out. It's running kind of rough and the clutch is probably 20 years old. It doesn't seem to have that much power at all. When I was riding in the grass, kind of soft ground, it had a really hard time getting going and never got up to full speed.

My question:
It has a kawasaki 3 hp motor. If I get the motor running right and a new clutch, should my mini be able to push me (200 lbs) around flat fields and grass pretty easily. Like I said it was struggling just to go 5-8 mph.

Then what kind of clutch? Does more teeth (10,11,12) equal more speed or torque? I think the rear sprocket has 60 teeth. Should I go to a 72 tooth?

I am considering putting a 5 hp motor in it but my kid, neices and nephews are going to ride it and I don't want to much power but enough for me to have fun.

Lastly, how about these torque converters? I saw one that was just bolt on and adds hp and top end speed. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

A 60 tooth sprocket will give you more top speed. more hp will
be better for carrying more weight. i weigh 235lbs. i have a 72 tooth
sprocket 455 centrif clutch w/12 teeth on a 4 hp tecumseh powersport.
Does about 30 mph on flat roadway and has good takeoff.
the torque converters are usually recomended for wheel sizes over 6inches,
although i have not used one i understand they are good.
hope this helps...

jeep4me

Sounds like you need to get the motor running right first. Then try to get a new clutch. I'd stay with the same number of teeth that you have on the current clutch. Getting those two things done should give you what you're looking for. If you want the kids to ride it too and you're worried about them getting hurt because it goes too fast, don't do major upgrades. The bike you have was most likely designed to be ridden by kids and putting a larger engine, torque converter and whatever else will just complicate matters. I suggest getiing that mini up and going for the kids and buy yourself a good little vintage one and modify that one to haul you around.

I would start out on paved roads, this will give you a better idea of what its capable of. Tune it there, then you'll know if its a running issue or turf issue.
Good luck!

I had a 2.5hp flathead that gave me the same problem. It ran ok on roads but grass and dirt would bring it to a hault. I lowered the gearing with a jackshaft which helped a little but finally ended up swapping it for a 5.5hp clone. With the jackshaft it can hit 28 mph and climb any hill or grassy area I throw at it.