Looking for torque

Triley41395

So I'm looking for suggestions on what motor/setup to put on a cushman scooter. I know it not a minibike but it's what my wife would like and I am going to get it done. My problem is I don't have alot of the original parts and brackets so I want to go with a clutch or converter. The thing probably weights 4 or 5 times a normal minibike. I don't want a speed demon I just want it to pull the thing around 20 mph. Here's the thing I want it to be key start with a pull start backup. I can make any adapter plates for mounting just about any motor. I'm not opposed to using a predator if that's the best option but I do like the looks of the older flathead. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I just am not sure if a smaller flathead (5or6hp)would pull this beast reliably.

Triley41395

Check out the OldMiniBikes build off 2020 forum.
Cushman Higlander built by
@Sport King Eric
He did a really nice job and you may find some helpful information for your project.
That's pretty much what I want to do, I may have to go with the larger predator because she would like a starter. I'll look to see what's available in the same range as the 212 with a starter. Thanks for the info.

Triley41395

Off topic but you have any pictures? Love these old cushmans.

Going next Saturday to pick up a cushman trailster.
Sure do..I have the original engine, the Kickstart works and the engine looks clean but I'm not sure if it runs but I'm pretty sure it will. The guy I bought it from had a stroke and could not restore it like he intended. He said that it did run. 20210822_102638.jpg 20210822_103108.jpg Screenshot_20210821-192206_Gallery.jpg

toomanytoys

Sure do..I have the original engine, the Kickstart works and the engine looks clean but I'm not sure if it runs but I'm pretty sure it will. The guy I bought it from had a stroke and could not restore it like he intended. He said that it did run. View attachment 282725 View attachment 282726 View attachment 282727
Looks like its all there! Those original husky engines ran pretty good, but like anything "old" parts can be a bit hard to find. Ours was really finicky. It would run fantastic one day, then the next you had to fiddle with it for an hour to ride it. Never did figure it out. Ended up selling it for 5 times as much as we paid for it a few years later.

Hoping this trailster I am going to look at on Saturday turns out to be as awesome as the pictures make it look! My youngest daughter wants it in the worst way and that gives me the perfect excuse in my brain to go get it!