Mtd front brake?

kayde

This is a front brake from a 12" wheel mtd.

The one brake shoe casting is different from the other at the flat end that contacts the actuator.

The difference let's the actuator pivot with no pad movement. Pics show the difference

Anyone know if that is correct?

I'm I assumeing because this is a front brake the one pad should make contact before the other does or is it just a muffed up casting?

Attachments

This is a front brake from a 12" wheel mtd.

The one brake shoe casting is different from the other at the flat end that contacts the actuator.

The difference let's the actuator pivot with no pad movement. Pics show the difference

Anyone know if that is correct?

I'm I assumeing because this is a front brake the one pad should make contact before the other does or is it just a muffed up casting?

Swap the shoes side for side and they will work as they should.

Just a guess-
It’s possible that one shoe was seized, and because of that, the other shoe got worn down on that side.
I just took a pic of 2 drum brake assemblies I have here and both shoes are flat where they meet the cam

One shoe always wears more. This was true with drum brakes on cars and trucks also. In those applications the primary shoe that did the most work had a longer lining on it.
I agree with you.
I think it might have to do with the direction of the wheel rotation.
But that wear seems pretty excessive to me, side to side.
If you flip the shoes like was said, that might give you another bite.
Got nothing to lose by trying it lol

So the shoes are on the wrong sides?
The shoes are miss matched but if you put them on the opposite sides they will work as they should when the cam turns. Now the cam pushes on a high side and a low side. Flip them and the cam will push on the high side of both shoes. There is no primary shoe or secondary shoe when the lining is the same size on both shoes.

Last edited:

kayde

Thanks fellas,

I had too ask.
If I only used the proper terminology that woulda help too explain alot. Lol

Drum brakes are nothing new too me but seeing wear like this is so
I wasn't sure if the shape had anything to do with a primary/secondary shoe set up specifically on a front wheel.
so wear like this too me is odd.

Still gonna use it just swap it around and if I have front brake issues then I know where too start.

Thanks for the help everyone
And thank you massacre for the pics that pic confirmed mine are doing their own thing.