New handlebars install

Hello everyone. I just got a new Coleman cc100x from Walmart and when I put the handlebars on I put all the washers in the right order but when I tighten the steering bolt down tight the handlebars get really tight and hard to turn so I have to loosen the nut a little. I don't understand why because there's bearings so it should ride on the bearings no matter how tight I make it and I don't feel safe leaving the nut just snug. Does anyone know why it's doing this? Plus it's making them shake really bad.

There are several ways to fix that. You could use a nylon locknut or a regular locknut on the fork bolt. You can use two nuts on the fork bolt and use the bottom one as a “jam nut” to keep the upper one tight. Or you can get a castle nut and drill a small hole for a cotter pin too

There are several ways to fix that. You could use a nylon locknut or a regular locknut on the fork bolt. You can use two nuts on the fork bolt and use the bottom one as a “jam nut” to keep the upper one tight. Or you can get a castle nut and drill a small hole for a cotter pin too
Thanks I was actually thinking about doing the 2 nuts. That way I can keep it just snug enough and I don't have to worry about it coming off.

Thanks I was actually thinking about doing the 2 nuts. That way I can keep it just snug enough and I don't have to worry about it coming off.
You need to determine what the problem is, and it's one of two things. Colemans usually need an additional washer or two to take up the excess space and avoid bending the triple clamps (plates) when the nut is tightened. First, make sure that the washer that contacts the bearing (both of them) is small enough in OD that it contacts ONLY the inner race of the bearing, otherwise it will cause binding. If the washers are good, check to make sure the inner spacer (between the two bearings) is there; it could have been accidentally omitted at the factory. You can see the inner spacer (part number 16) in the diagram linked below (CT100U but would be the same). To summarize, the washers are the wrong size or are missing, or the inner spacer is either missing or is too short. The washers and the inner spacer need to contact only the inner race of the bearings to prevent side-loading the bearings.

http://shopping.na3.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.3546502/sc.27/category.123921/ctype.SS/SS.123921/.f

Good point Charles, no sense in worrying absolutely it the bolt if there is something binding.
I’m not super familiar with the Colman minibikes

Another thought, you could have a bad bearing even though it's new, not likely but possible. I've bought defective brand new auto parts a couple times in the past, and that was back when they were made in the USA; I've also bought defective brand new electronics; you never know... Stick a fingertip or a tapered Sharpie/marker, anything that will fit snugly in the inner race, and see if it rotates freely. Make sure the inner race is moving (put a mark on it if needed) and that movement isn't the inserted object slipping against the race.

Last edited: