Powell drive belt

After some years, I'm back to trying to figure about how these old Powell drive belts are routed, and what the correct size is.

Some Powell's might adjust the engine to put more tension on the drive belt, but mine uses a pulley system to put tension on the belt. But I'm not sure whether the small pulley wheel should push down on the belt and ride on the narrow side, or should the belt be routed up through the small pulley so it rides on the wide (top) of the belt.

I am using a B32 belt (35"x.5"x.5") which is too small to be routed up through the small pulley, opposite of my pictures. Is this the correct size belt? Or do I need a B34 or B35 belt?

Also note that the factory small pulley is welded in place and the only way to re-route the belt up through is to remove the large jack shaft wheel.

When my handle is up in the locked position, it seems to be a "neutral" position. When in the "drive" position it pushes down in the belt to increase tension, and the spring is also adjustable on the tang attached to the engine.

Any Powell people still around that might know the correct routing, or belt size. My Powell is all original.

DSC00556.JPG DSC00557.JPG DSC00558.JPG

Great !! Thanks for the pic's.

Which belt number is that?

I have the original belt from the 70's and it is toothed like yours. You can just make out the "Powell" lettering in the picture but no number. I tried to match it at the autoparts store.

Maybe that's my problem. I can't seem to start the thing without being on a stand because the belt always grabs the clutch and spins the wheel.

DSC00560.JPG DSC00552.JPG

I’ll have to look but I think I could use a 1” shorter belt. Does your driver have the bronze bushing so it slips easier at idle?

Yes it does have the bronze bushing. And thanks for reminding me. That might be the problem. The 5/8" wide belt the angry auto parts guy sold me is too wide to fit down on that bushing. I'm searching for a toothed 1/2" belt now in 35" diameter.

mine came as a rolling frame (barely) so I did not have a correct driver, I used a 20 series comet which takes a 3/4" belt and then used a 1/8" piece I made up to put in the middle of the driven pulley so belt would fit.

Attachments

Finally got my AX31 toothed belt. It is a 33" by 1/2" wide belt and it seems to be the proper length, and fits the inside of the original Horstman clutch. Now it will coast, and the tension lever and pulley contacts the belt properly. No test run yet because of the weather, but I'm sure it'll work fine.

Problem was, parts guy mis-measured my old belt and sold me a 35" by 5/8" wide belt. I might have been able to squeeze a AX30 (32") on, but think I solved it for now.
DSC00564.JPG

DSC00565.JPG

What is the model number of that Comet drive? I got a frame with no motor and its an older (?) rocker with the gear shift looking knob up to the spring off the frame, not a tensioner like yours.